Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was reading this article, where Nic Nuyens mentions that he will be riding for Boonen at the Belgian national championships. It got me thinking about a number of questions:

• Should the reigning world champ bother and ride his national championships?
  • I didn't expect team tactics would be a factor (or public factor) concerning a national championships... ignorant of me?
  • If he were to win, which jersey trumps the other?
  • I wonder what a combined pro tour leader, world championship and belgian national champ combined jersey would look like (yuck).

Discuss.

· Registered
1,354 Posts
Yes Boonen should ride nats. He's the favorite. If he's heavily marked, it opens the door for his Quickstep teammates like Nuyens. Nats are still a team sport, Quickstep riders have one goal, to make sure one of them wins, it doesn't matter whom.

The Rainbow jersey trumps the Belgian national.

Fortunately they don't do combined jerseys anymore (that old combo Tour Jersey with the green, yellow, and polka-dots was gnarly).

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
euro-trash said:
Fortunately they don't do combined jerseys anymore (that old combo Tour Jersey with the green, yellow, and polka-dots was gnarly).
Well that's not completely true...the UCI did allow Boonen to "create" a ProTour / WC jersey back when he was the PT leader.

I wonder why the big name American riders don't seem to give 2 shits about the US championship. I think Chris Horner is the only one ...

· Old enough to know better
720 Posts
If Boonen skipped his Nat. Champ. race every year like most of the US big shots do his fans would eventualy start throwing that pave at him. Plus seems like Belgians have a pure respect of cycling and I think he would view it as a diss to his own country to not race. Plus if it is marked hardcore and that frees up one of his QS guys hes basicly just thrown them a bone. Those guys ride their butts off for him all year round, every now and again you gotta repay the favor. All in all though if he shows up I think he ll win. I like Tom's mind set of if I m there, I'm there to win. Right on.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Belgian Nats

otherwise known as 'the mans man' race. Belgian National CX champs also known as 'the other world championships'. Of course Tom should ride. They take that race seriosuly there.

G

·
Einstruzende said:
I wonder why the big name American riders don't seem to give 2 shits about the US championship. I think Chris Horner is the only one ...
It's been a big deal to Julich and Fast Freddie, at least in the past.

· Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
The Belgian national champ, the jersey, has such a storied presence that it is such a goal.

I think for a (real) Belgian, the national champs is third under Worlds, Flanders...then the TdF(sarcasm), etc. go down the list.

· Registered
609 Posts
mquetel said:
So, I was reading this article, where Nic Nuyens mentions that he will be riding for Boonen at the Belgian national championships. It got me thinking about a number of questions:

• Should the reigning world champ bother and ride his national championships?
  • I didn't expect team tactics would be a factor (or public factor) concerning a national championships... ignorant of me?
  • If he were to win, which jersey trumps the other?
  • I wonder what a combined pro tour leader, world championship and belgian national champ combined jersey would look like (yuck).

Discuss.
If he doesn’t, may the ghost of Monseré haunt him.

Des

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.