Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 35 and been riding for almost two years now. I wear a monitor on hard rides, It gives me my average and max. When I started riding I had a max of 220 with an average of 190. I thought that was high and decided it was due to me being out of shape and would go down as my fitness progressed. Now a year and a half later I 've had 222 max with a 198 average. Is this something to be worry about? Again I'm 35 and this high rate concerns me. I have done the search and not found anything similar to my rates so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
andrewski said:
I'm 35 and been riding for almost two years now. I wear a monitor on hard rides, It gives me my average and max. When I started riding I had a max of 220 with an average of 190. I thought that was high and decided it was due to me being out of shape and would go down as my fitness progressed. Now a year and a half later I 've had 222 max with a 198 average. Is this something to be worry about? Again I'm 35 and this high rate concerns me. I have done the search and not found anything similar to my rates so thanks in advance.
Yes, see your cardiologist...seems too high to me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would check that the heart monitor your using is functioning correctly. I had problems with my polar monitor when i first began using it ,it wasnt making a good enough contact and the numbers were jumping all over.
Then go call your doctor for a checkup.

G

·
I've got a max of about 217 and I have seen nearly 200 average for an hour crit. It's not necessarily normal, but there is no harm to it. I've gone to get it checked out by a doctor and she said as long as I'm not passing out, to not worry about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, I'm using a Polar monitor to measure, No time trialing..... just hard weekend rides usally around 35 to 40 miles, I'll start the monitor after about 17 miles so I'm warmed up. I think I will call my Dr. to be on the safe side. Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Seems high to me...I am 36 and ride a couple hundred miles a week and over the past month or so during intervals I have determined that my maximum 'riding' heart rate is 192. I can maintain 180bpm for a good while, but not hours. At 192, I am talking about maybe minutes at that rate....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep...

messyparrot said:
I don't think I would be alive for more than 5 minutes at 192 bpm.

I am actually makign myself sound better than I am. I give myself 2 minutes but have the defib handy please.
If I actually happen to look down at see it 'blip' up to 192, I let off....I don't think I have ever actually tried to 'maintain' 192, that is for sure, but if I abosuletely had too (for like a fitness assessment) I think maybe 1-2 minutes max....

·
Registered
346 Posts
andrewski said:
I'm the same age as you, and have similar figures - for a 30 minute crit I'm maxing out at 200-205, and averaging 190-195, and when I'm climbing it can go higher. I know other people in my club with similar ages/heartrates. I don't think I'm about to drop down dead, and I've always assumed its just one of those things - the word 'average' does not mean 'everybody is the same'.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
andrewski said:

Try taking your pulse by hand before calling your cardiologist. You can't hold 200 for 20 miles.

get warmed up.. settle in at 120 beats on the HRM.. start the stop watch.. count for 15 seconds and mutiple by 4. see how far off you are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try that bas. In the beginning when I take it easy and get settled in.... I'm usually around 175 +/- 5. My resting heartrate is 70 and I just had a physical about two months ago which showed my cholesterol and blood pressure to be on the low side, so I don't think they are an issue.

·
extremely biased
874 Posts
bah.............. I wouldn't worry. So many thing effect HR that it's almost worthless unless you doing an apples to apples comp.

I have noticed a 15-20 beat difference due to heat, redbull, Zyrtec-D, coffee or adrealine. My threashold HR is usually around 180-185 and when hopped up on "supplements" or heat I can see almost 200+ for the same PRE. If it's real hot, the watts drop and the HR goes way up.

Further, I have trouble getting my HR up when I am tired (after a 4 week block of training) and some of my buddies experience the exact opposite.

HR is a red herring.................... the goal is to make youself faster, not have a high/low HR.

If your worried call the Dr.

Starnut

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
The point isn't about the exercise value of HR as the previous post suggested. It's about whether the OP should be concerned about the high readings. They are high. If it were me, I'd discuss it with my doctor, asking about things like exercise-induced arrhythmias. These don't have to present symptoms so what's the harm in getting checked out?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm 56 and my riding heart rate is somewhere between 90 to 125. When I start getting tired and it's a long ride it will creep up to 130 or 135. If I'm pushing the pace it's in the 130s or 140s. The highest I've gotten on hills and pushing it is 161. Most of my hill climbing is in the 150s. I don't know where my max is, maybe 161? My resting heat rate is 34 and I'm overweight, 214 lbs, 5'11" with 17.6% body fat.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
cadence & push

My cadence when I'm riding and not pushing is 85-95, when I'm pushing it's 95-100, hill climbing I'm 95-110, generally 100-105. I'm in whatever gear to get me that cadence at the given speed. The speed doesn't matter because that depends upon the terrain, flat, incline, how much of an incline and how long. I have a triple and I'm using the middle or large chainring and try to make it up the hill in the middle but will switch to the smaller. If I wanted to keep my HR down in the 140s I do the hill in the granny and spin 75, if I want to go faster and get a workout I stay in the middle and push hard and my HR rises.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I'd be dead with that sort of heart rate. I'm 34 and the highest I've ever seen is 178, and I usually average 150-155 for a hard 2 hour ride. Resting high 50s. I'm also fairly well north of 200 pounds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.