Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a week ago I almost got run over by a FedEx truck and had to jump a 5 inch curb at around 25 mph, didn't get the rear wheel over completely and ended up with a complete blow out of my tube and an almost new Conti Gatorskin. The rim didn't appear to take much damage, but to be honest I didn't put a lot of looking into it as that I recently built a new set and just swapped those on. Anyways before my ride today I noticed something that may be alarming as I had the bike on the stand. I'm still a newb when it comes to wrenching, but I'm assuming that this isn't good.

Is my chainstay f*#ked? Assuming it is, is it safe to ride until I get a new frame/bike?

Thanks.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
So about a week ago I almost got run over by a FedEx truck and had to jump a 5 inch curb at around 25 mph, didn't get the rear wheel over completely and ended up with a complete blow out of my tube and an almost new Conti Gatorskin. The rim didn't appear to take much damage, but to be honest I didn't put a lot of looking into it as that I recently built a new set and just swapped those on. Anyways before my ride today I noticed something that may be alarming as I had the bike on the stand. I'm still a newb when it comes to wrenching, but I'm assuming that this isn't good.

Is my chainstay f*#ked? Assuming it is, is it safe to ride until I get a new frame/bike?

Thanks.
Shouldn't you be asking a reputable bike shop for an assessment, and shouldn't you be asking FedEx to take responsibility?

·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't you be asking a reputable bike shop for an assessment, and shouldn't you be asking FedEx to take responsibility?
Thanks for your feedback, being that I just noticed, driving 1 hour to the closest bike shop isn't doable at the moment (the blessings of living in BFE). As for FedEx it was as much my fault as it was his, we talked after and were both ok with saying that we were equally at fault.

But again thanks for taking a moment.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
No way I would ride that. Take it to a dealer.

A failure there could put you in the ER.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I agree, take it in. On some of the newer CF bikes they put a thin aluminium layer under a thin layer of carbon on the chain stay just in case the chain does jump and grinds away at the stay to protect the stay instead of the chain sawing through it, that may be what we're seeing, but I also see what appears to be a crack and that isn't good if it's a crack.

You should never ever admit either guilt or partial guilt at any scene of an accident even if it's your fault. If you had gotten hurt or suffered the loss of that bike the insurance company's lawyers would hash that out for you. At the very least FedEx could have paid for half of the repairs or replacement if it comes down to either of those two options. The FedEx driver has to report the accident to his boss or risk losing his job if it comes up later. So you still have an option, you could go to FedEx and file a accident complaint and let their legal department handle it, but if the driver didn't report it he will lose his job. So it's up to you which way you want to go with this.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I agree that having somebody competent look at it is a good idea. It is entirely possible that this "crack" is superficial, and affects the finish (or finishing layer) only. In particular, this area of carbon frames around the bottom bracket where the chainstays start is usually very significantly reinforced, to the point of often being near-indestructible. So, there is a good chance that the frame is still fine, but we can't diagnose something like this remotely.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
I agree that having somebody competent look at it is a good idea. It is entirely possible that this "crack" is superficial, and affects the finish (or finishing layer) only. In particular, this area of carbon frames around the bottom bracket where the chainstays start is usually very significantly reinforced, to the point of often being near-indestructible. So, there is a good chance that the frame is still fine, but we can't diagnose something like this remotely.
I 2nd what Pirx says. My first thoughts were it could just be a clear coat crack but you do need to have it looked after.

Also - What the hell is up with FED-X. Of all the delivery drivers they are ALWAYS the worst and scariest bastards. I can only speculate that the drivers are held to unreasonable delivery expectations and have to speed excessively to complete their routes on time.

·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I took it to my LBS. The head mechanic ended up taking a look. He was a bit unsure about the damage, he said to mark it, ride, and see if it gets bigger. He did find another really small crack around the dropout. I sanded the paint from the area and there is an ever so fine crack there.

So long story short I may ride a little while I look for something else. Since I just had a baby, it looks like ebay/china carbon 6.0 here I come...

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Well I took it to my LBS. The head mechanic ended up taking a look. He was a bit unsure about the damage, he said to mark it, ride, and see if it gets bigger. He did find another really small crack around the dropout. I sanded the paint from the area and there is an ever so fine crack there.

So long story short I may ride a little while I look for something else. Since I just had a baby, it looks like ebay/china carbon 6.0 here I come...
Why would you want to get a generic Chinese made carbon frame? You will never get any warranty satisfaction should an issue pop up. It would be of my opinion you could do better at Bikes Direct. Heck if all you want is a frame and fork you can get a titanium frame CF fork from BD for $999 and problems like you had would be all but non existent. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree, if you need to go that type of route go BD Direct, if you wanna decrease odds of it happening again then buy the Ti. I think if I ever ship my bike to a riding destination then I will get the shipment insured.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Also - What the hell is up with FED-X. Of all the delivery drivers they are ALWAYS the worst and scariest bastards. I can only speculate that the drivers are held to unreasonable delivery expectations and have to speed excessively to complete their routes on time.
Some are owner/operators and per my best info the rest are held to a delivery route schedule.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why would you want to get a generic Chinese made carbon frame? You will never get any warranty satisfaction should an issue pop up. It would be of my opinion you could do better at Bikes Direct. Heck if all you want is a frame and fork you can get a titanium frame CF fork from BD for $999 and problems like you had would be all but non existent. That's just my opinion.
I agree you with you in principle but it's not like this would have been covered under a warranty anyway.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I agree you with you in principle but it's not like this would have been covered under a warranty anyway.
True, but getting a CF frame from a questionable source could (note I said could, not would) result in failure of the frame from a manufacture defect, and you'll have no recourse, and if such an event happened while you were riding at higher speeds could result in a serious accident. Bikes Direct has CF frameset for $595 or the TI frameset of $999, at least with those you would have recourse in the event of a manufactures defect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.