Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a new bike and am close to pulling the trigger on either an R1000 or Six 13. I like both bikes and I like Cannondale in general. I am a little bothered though by the fact that Cannondale is continually updating and changing its model names/lines. For example, the CAAD 8 line is only a couple of years old and there already is a CAAD 9 on the way; likewise the Six 13 is soon to be replaced by the System 6.

What this means is that I drop a few grand on a bike and in a year (or less if I buy the Six 13 now) it will be an old or discontinued model. Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s great that they are always improving their bikes, but why keep changing model names? Won’t this devalue the bike? I can’t imagine this makes their customers happy. For example, I have a 15 year old Trek 1000. Trek still makes a 1000 even though it is a vastly different bike. Another example: I drive 2003 model year car. The 2006 model of this same car look more or less the same as mine. This is a good thing because I don’t feel that my car has been instantly devalued by a newer model or worse, now being a discontinued model. It’s true that eventually there will be a newer model, but not a year after I get it and then will most likely have the same name

It may seem dumb but this is a big purchase for me. I know I should just get my bike and enjoy it and maybe use this to my advantage to try and get a better deal on an outgoing model.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

· Registered
180 Posts
Unless you are buying a bike with the intention of selling it in a year to upgrade to a new model, I would not worry about it. Just buy whatever is comfortable and fun to ride.

Personally, I like the way Cannondale names their bikes. If someone says Six13, Six13 Fusion or System Six, I automatically know the exact frame they are talking about. If someone mentions CAAD 3, I know what the differences are between that and the CAAD 4 (CAAD 4 is the first version with the curved seat stays, the CAAD 3's were straight)... etc...

On a semi-related note, the one thing I dislike about Cannondale is some of their models use non-standard parts. For example, the System Six uses a mixed 1 and 1/2", and 1 and 1/8" headset/fork. If you want to upgrade the fork or headset down the road, you'll probably have to get a Cannondale. To me, this would be a much bigger resale issue than the name of the bike model. I admire Cannondale for trying to push the limits though...

· Registered
62 Posts
You know how it's said that when you take a new car off the lot, it drops $2k in value? I'd argue a similar kind of thing happens with any bike. No matter what bike (collectibles excepted), no matter what brand, no matter what model name it has, its value will be a fraction of what it was before you walked out of the store with it. So just buy what's right for you and ride. If you're really concerned about re-sale though, take solace in that the C-dale name is well recognized and arguably holds its re-sale value a tiny bit better than average.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I myself love C'Dales, and have owned a couple. During 2005, I had a tumultuous year on the bike, and actually went from a beautiful 2005 C'Dale R1000 down to a 2001 C'Dale R600. Both bikes were good to ride, and kept me in shape. But it was a difficult year. Now, I'm riding a 2005 Felt F65, which I am also enjoying. It's not as nice as my cannondales, but it's the wheelset that feels like the weakest link (Alex DA 220), and not the trusty Ksyriums that were on the R1000.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
I just got a Six13 frame and had no regret this bike is fast enough for me, if you could wait then go with System Six.

· Registered
282 Posts
If you don't have a very flexible back, think twice about a System 6 (S6). No way of putting spacers under the stem to increase stack height, thus reducing your reach to the bar.

Quite frankly, they also have the carbon/Al thing bass ackwards too. And the reality is that they only include the carbon so they don't have to sell the Six13 and now the S6 as aluminum bikes. The carbon as placed does nothing for the ride and not much for the weight -- a S6 weighs in at nearly 1200grams. While weight is not everything, whats the deal here?

· Registered
1,894 Posts
The over all improvement was stiffen the front end head tube so big rider won't feel much flex, but smaller rider like me can't tell the difference. six13 is still a killer frame to ride on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.