Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes, be very worried!
My daughter started on one of those and now she wants to be a bike racer.
At 4, she move to a two wheeled single speed (with brakes though). At age 5, she did her first cyclocross race (SS) and at 6 her first crit race (also SS). She still enjoys taking her brakeless fixed gear out for a spin once in a while and wants me to build her a two wheeled version - not sure if I'm ready for that.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
586 Posts
My wife just bought one just like that at a flea market because she used to have one as a kid. Nobody in the family is small enough to ride it comfortably...

Maybe I should get my own fixie too. Yesterday I chanced to ride next to a guy on a brakeless fixie and I asked him about his bike. When I mentioned "no brakes" he suddenly forced his rear wheel to skid and I was really surprised about the deceleration. He admitted that it does take a bit of practice....

·
Registered
669 Posts
innergel said:
Get her on the track. She's a natural!
that's why she wants a 'real fixed gear'... ever since I took her to the Track World Cup Classics. Main problem is that she is tiny for her age, she's 6 1/2 but looks more like 4 1/2, she probably won't fit a track worthy bike until she's in high school.

·
Registered
50 Posts
a fad with kids

My daughter Annabel is 2, and she's all into this "kids on fixies" fad. She wanted new ultra sooper light tubing, but that's not how they come built from the Target factory in China. I told her to be patient, so she sat patiently wearing her helmet and eating a PowerBar Jr.

She's all about speed. She can already ride faster than I can walk, so the helmet serves a purpose, but brakeless? C'mon girl!

She wants to take dad's (me) fixies for a spin, but she's too short and she gets upset. Some day I'll make her one when she can ride a real little bike...with brakes...

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
She's only a year away from falling in with one tough crowd. The Lil'Tigers are a notorious fixed gear "club" -- some would say "gang." Get her help soon before she goes down the path to the point of no return.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.