Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
redline09
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 305 (not the Edge) for running and cycling.
For running, it works fairly well.
For cycling, however, I don't like the handlebar mount (available as an accessory) and I have not found a good way to mount the Forerunner on the stem. Also, the screen is difficult for me to read while biking and the battery can't always get through an all-day ride.
Would the Edge 500 be a good choice for a bike computer or should I get something else such as a Cateye computer that lacks GPS but has everything else I need?
I ride a lot in the early morning and evening, so a backlight is useful.
Mostly I want to keep track of my training progress; i.e. miles, speed, average speed, the usual stuff. Uploading the data to a computer would be helpful, but I could get by without that if the data is easily accessible in the head unit.
Many thanks for your advice!
Ride safe.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
I've been quite happy with my 500 thus far. Some seem to have issues as you see on the Garmin forum. I have not. It's been flawless. It does all I need and more. I download rides to either the GTC or one of the other available online sites with free downloads. You can overlay onto Google Earth as well. I got the neutral color (black/grey) bundle (computer, soft heartrate strap, speed/cadence sensor) for around $300. I then got a 2nd speed/cadence sensor for the mtb and have set up 2 bike profiles so it only takes a second to swap over to the mtb. They already come with 2 mounts so that was no problem. Replacement EPDM rubber mount bands are readily available too. I'll likely change them out each year just to be safe.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If money isn't a consideration, I'd say go for it! I've used a Forerunner 305 when I used to run and now use a Edge 305 and love it.... It is really a great way to keep track of all your rides with all kinds of data, I wish these would have been around when I started riding 20 years ago.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I used an Edge 305 for a few years with a GSC10 speed/cadence sensor. I did have a couple GSC10s die from corrosion on the circuit board (I now coat them with conformal coating while they are more or less new). After a year or so, the Edge 305 started shutting off during rides, which is a common problem with the model as the internal contacts wear. A battery wiring mod fixed the issue (and voided any warranty), and it lived for about a year before it started dropping workouts during uploads and not aquiring satellites. That was about it for the 305.

Now I have a 500, which so far has been quicker to acquire satellites and has a better mount. No complaints so far, but ask me in a couple years. I ride in wet conditions on rougher roads more often than a lot of people, so my failure rate may be higher. I will say the overall design seems better for the 500, so I have high hopes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts