Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Motorator
Joined
·
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a '95 Honda del Sol with 111k miles. First owner was an older lady who sold it at 30k because of being too old to drive to a conservative type, rather anal woman who took care of it like we all wish cars we wanted to buy were taken care of. Totally stock, no custom aftermarket parts. It's the Vtec single overhead cam model - the Si - but it has an automatic tranny. And the color - not my first pick. Paint is OK, but starting to burn through in a few spots; body is fine except for two small parking lot dings on driver's side. Everything (A/C, power locks, windows, CD/radio, cruise) works well and the car drives very nicely and without rattles and noises.

I thought this car would be good for my 25 year old daughter who now lives in Alabama but may move back. Kind of an enticement purchase of a sort.

Anyways, the final offer from the lady is a price of $3250. It turns out my daughter won't be returning very soon, so I'm not totally decided yet. All I drive is a pickup truck, but I wouldn't mind having a 32mpg sporty car to fill in for those times I don't need the utility of the truck. And I'm sure gas prices will go back up as time moves on.

Help me decide!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
You could get a nice Waterford for that.

Great gas mileage too.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,737 Posts
If I remember correctly, Consumer Reports said they fared pretty poorly in a few areas, body integrity being the worst. Mechanicals were better but iirc were still below average. I remember because it was out of character for Honda.

I had a 1994 Ford Escort wagon for 11 years that ran like a Swiss watch. You can get one of those for a lot less than $3200
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,427 Posts
$2200 would be fair. (Tops)
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,886 Posts
An automatic on a high-revving, low-torque motor like that?

Pass.

Plus, IIRC, those are front-wheel-drivers, right?

And an ugly color, sorta OK paint, and not at a "steal of a deal?"

Pass.
 

·
p != b
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
As a 'honda enthusiast' it's not a bad deal - not great either. If they're at all like the 88-91 Civic/CRX, they typically start to rust around the wheel arches and underneath the back bumper - if it's as clean as it looks, it would be something I'd consider for $2500-$2750.

But, if you're not specifically looking for a Honda Del Sol, then I'd pass - sporty hondas still get overpriced due to (real or percieved) demand.

If you're just looking for a car, and are interested in a honda, 4-doors tend to run cheaper - both in the civic and accord.
If you're looking for something sporty... Ford Escort GT (92-95 IIRC), could probably get into a 3-door focus SVT (6-speed manual, don't remember engine specs) for close to that price - and that's for a '01 car.
 

·
still shedding season
Joined
·
8,849 Posts
Argentius said:
Plus, IIRC, those are front-wheel-drivers, right?
Yup. They're selling it this time of year hoping for someone who will gladly overpay for an almost-convertible. Pass.
 

·
Motorator
Joined
·
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bopApocalypse said:
As a 'honda enthusiast' it's not a bad deal - not great either. If they're at all like the 88-91 Civic/CRX, they typically start to rust around the wheel arches and underneath the back bumper - if it's as clean as it looks, it would be something I'd consider for $2500-$2750.

But, if you're not specifically looking for a Honda Del Sol, then I'd pass - sporty hondas still get overpriced due to (real or percieved) demand.

If you're just looking for a car, and are interested in a honda, 4-doors tend to run cheaper - both in the civic and accord.
If you're looking for something sporty... Ford Escort GT (92-95 IIRC), could probably get into a 3-door focus SVT (6-speed manual, don't remember engine specs) for close to that price - and that's for a '01 car.
Here in CA rust isn't a problem. The way I figure it, low mile, well kept, stock condition del Sols like this one are getting rarer and rarer with each passing year. The longer one waits, the harder it'll be to find a good one. Their styling is pretty timeless, meaning they'll always look good. And the targa top is a pretty cool feature. What it is, is a lowered 2-seat Honda Civic with the same 30+ mpg economy.

The automatic does not excite me. Good for my daughter though. Funny that Kelly Blue Book bumps up the value of these cars by several hundred bucks if they have an automatic.
 

·
p != b
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Starliner said:
Here in CA rust isn't a problem. The way I figure it, low mile, well kept, stock condition del Sols like this one are getting rarer and rarer with each passing year. The longer one waits, the harder it'll be to find a good one. Their styling is pretty timeless, meaning they'll always look good. And the targa top is a pretty cool feature. What it is, is a lowered 2-seat Honda Civic with the same 30+ mpg economy.

The automatic does not excite me. Good for my daughter though. Funny that Kelly Blue Book bumps up the value of these cars by several hundred bucks if they have an automatic.
That's fair, and mainly what I was getting at.

FWIW, swapping in a manual isn't too difficult with these...
 

·
Off the back
Joined
·
1,850 Posts
Sounds like you really don't want us to talk you out of it. That's alright. It's prolly a fine car.

More exciting & sporty would be the Toyota MR2 from around the same era.
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Well, I mean, it just sounds like your mind is made up, so you might as well buy it, since you are taking issue with all advice to the contrary. And what the heck, it's a personal decision, influenced by preferences. The price does seem several hundred too high, though. How long has it been for sale?.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
bopApocalypse said:
If you're looking for something sporty... Ford Escort GT (92-95 IIRC), could probably get into a 3-door focus SVT (6-speed manual, don't remember engine specs) for close to that price - and that's for a '01 car.
Dude, you wish! I was looking at foci SVTs and they are hard to come by and EXPENSIVE (like 6-8K for high miles and people actually asking close to 10K for 50Kish miles ones).

But let's get to the critical point. This car is probably up there with the rabbit convertible/cabriolet on the "girly car" meter (something like an F350 superduty being at the other end of the scale). NTTAWT... I drive an Audi TT roadster... but to get it with a fun-robbing auto too... why?

Prelude, 944, Civic si (though good luck w/finding an unmolested example in Norcal), or early Miata can all be had for same-ish cash and manny-trannies.
 

·
Motorator
Joined
·
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
shawndoggy said:
Dude, you wish! But let's get to the critical point. This car is probably up there with the rabbit convertible/cabriolet on the "girly car" meter (something like an F350 superduty being at the other end of the scale). NTTAWT... I drive an Audi TT roadster... but to get it with a fun-robbing auto too... why?
So this car will bring out the girly side of me....I'd better be careful not to cruise the Castro too often then, with the top off and George Michael blasting out of the sound system. :blush2:

The automatic.... I'd have to learn how to drive one. :p
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,427 Posts
You mean to tell me that you can't buy a new Toyota for $1900 anymore?????
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top