Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Should I change my chain

492 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  VaughnA 
#1 ·
I have a dura-ace 10 spd chain with probably 6000 miles on it. From what I've heard that is a LOT of mileage for a DA10. But I check it with a park cc-3 chain checker and it measures fine. I swap out an old and a new cassette without a problem fairly often. Should I change it or just keep on measuring until it shows enough stretch? Most folks I know get much less mileage out of a DA10 chain.

#2 ·
If it isn't worn, it isn't worn - I'd check with a ruler though to confirm your findings. Chain wear seems variable depending on care, riding style, etc. I have 5K on a Whipperman, and is has no wear by the ruler method, and still I wonder...

#3 ·
I think the Park, and other chain checkers don't work well. I do not trust them. If you can get a metal machinists rule, the measurements will be much more accurate.

I also live by the mantra: when in doubt, change it out.

#4 ·
If shifting is fine - esp. w/ different cassettes, and chain wear indicator is good, I see no reason to pop $20-50 for a new chain. Confirm your findings w/ an accurately cut 12-inch steel ruler to make sure your chain checker is doing it's job, but the good shifting suggests it is anyway.

A well maintained drivetrain that isn't abused can get lots of miles - might as well enjoy the benefit of your good care and not replace chains/cassettes because somebody's calender says you should.

#5 ·
That's what I was figuring. If it was worn I wouldn't be able to swap out cassettes like I do. And I had no problem when I switched cranks a couple of thousand miles back. I'll try an accurate ruler. I do clean and lube every 100 miles or so. I guess it pays off. I've just heard many people say the DA10 chains don't last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.