Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some new ultralight tubes from Maxxis. Opening the tube's box holds the tube AND a stretchy rubber-like rimstrip that they suggest you use with ONLY thier tube. I'm currently running Velox (the cloth that everyone pretty much knows about or uses) and don't think that I will see any advantage to changing. Velox is only 10-12 grams a wheel right? So wieght wise thier isn't any advantage to changing so thier must be a technical reason. Anyone familiar with Maxxis?

Questions:
Why would they include a rimstrip with thier ultralight tubes? Are thiers better than Velox? Would it be worth the effort to switch?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Rubber is crap. Plastic is fine for a year. Then they may split at the spoke holes, or start to wear the tube. Stick with your Velox, or any cotton rim strip.
They include one with their tube in hopes that you will buy theirs next time.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
Since they're 'ultralight' tubes, maybe they would claim that their strips are lighter than Velox' or other strips.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm with Mr Grumpy

Keep your velox

niteschaos said:
I just got some new ultralight tubes from Maxxis. Opening the tube's box holds the tube AND a stretchy rubber-like rimstrip that they suggest you use with ONLY thier tube. I'm currently running Velox (the cloth that everyone pretty much knows about or uses) and don't think that I will see any advantage to changing. Velox is only 10-12 grams a wheel right? So wieght wise thier isn't any advantage to changing so thier must be a technical reason. Anyone familiar with Maxxis?

Questions:
Why would they include a rimstrip with thier ultralight tubes? Are thiers better than Velox? Would it be worth the effort to switch?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Plastic...

...rim strips blow. Last week my wife's front tire went flat for no apparent reason. When I took off the tire to check the tube, I noticed there was a yellow plastic rim strip. Had I know the bike was built up with these, I would have changed immediately to Velox. Anyway, the plastic had "indented down" into the spoke holes; if you flipped the tape over, you would have all this "peaks" all around the rim strip. The strip itself was not split, torn, or punctured, but the indentations had pulled enough of the rim strip away that the tube got pinched in a spoke hole. I wish I had taken pictures of this.

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These aren't plastic

They are rubber with a texture on one side and a tacky smooth side (I'm thinking that is the side the goes on the rim.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think in the long run...

...the velox will be a much better rim strip. If you are going to use the rubber rim strips, then I would suggest checking/changing them once or twice a year. You could alway contact Maxxis and find out why. My experience has been that manufacturers might print one thing, but tell you another. It could be that Maxxis figures that someone who buys the ultralight tubes is concerned with weight, so they throw in their lightweight rimstrip that they think is better than others. I would be surprised if they say that running Velox rim tape will somehow damage the ultralight tube.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I'd have the same question as you...

niteschaos said:
They are rubber with a texture on one side and a tacky smooth side (I'm thinking that is the side the goes on the rim.
First I thought they were rubber rim strips as they used in the days of old. But the way you described them might make them worth a try. I use only Velox, maybe the ultra light tube is a factor. However I find psi is more a concern with utlra light tubes than rim strips. I used to swap out my Velox each time I installed a new tire, but I found that was overkill. You could stick with the Velox and if you start getting rim punctures you could install the rubber strips. No sense pulling off the Velox if it works o.k. My $.02 anyway...

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
You did what....

Dinosaur said:
First I thought they were rubber rim strips as they used in the days of old. But the way you described them might make them worth a try. I use only Velox, maybe the ultra light tube is a factor. However I find psi is more a concern with utlra light tubes than rim strips. I used to swap out my Velox each time I installed a new tire, but I found that was overkill. You could stick with the Velox and if you start getting rim punctures you could install the rubber strips. No sense pulling off the Velox if it works o.k. My $.02 anyway...
Dino,

You replaced the Velox whenever you replaced a tire? I guess once you retired you realized how much money you were wasting ?:D At that pace I'd go through at least 6 rolls a year, which is approaching a six pack of good beer (or a cheap bottle of wine). Once Velox is applied it pretty much lasts forever. I have some wheels that are 10 years old and the rimtape still looks new.

Anyway, to answer the original question, don't use the rubber rim strip, at least not on your wheels. As Grumpy said, they are doing that so you throw out your good rim tape and then when it's time to change a tube you buy theirs because the rim strip will "only" work with their tube.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
niteschaos said:

Questions:
You must have bought their Fly-Weight tubes. According to their web site:

"Flyweight Tubes
At .45mm thin, flyweight inner tubes are the lightest butyl tubes known to mankind. Increase speed by decreasing rotational weight. Flyweight tubes are packaged with a unique cloth rim strip to be used only with flyweight tubes. "
http://www.maxxis.com/bike/tubes.asp

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Not anymore.

Mike Prince said:
Dino,

You replaced the Velox whenever you replaced a tire? I guess once you retired you realized how much money you were wasting ?:D At that pace I'd go through at least 6 rolls a year, which is approaching a six pack of good beer (or a cheap bottle of wine). Once Velox is applied it pretty much lasts forever. I have some wheels that are 10 years old and the rimtape still looks new.

Anyway, to answer the original question, don't use the rubber rim strip, at least not on your wheels. As Grumpy said, they are doing that so you throw out your good rim tape and then when it's time to change a tube you buy theirs because the rim strip will "only" work with their tube.
I had to stop drinking beer (sigh) too many calories for us old guys. I dunno why I changed out the Velox with every new tire, probably because of the cheap ass Rolf wheels I had on my Klein would hold water if I got stuck riding in the rain and they would get hard and brittle.
Now I change out every spring when I pull my bike apart for a good cleaning (which hopefully will be soon).... :D :D
Dino-no -longer-the-wino

1 - 12 of 12 Posts