Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the elbow?

NNC related but it has progressed to the rest of my lovely world.

when I ride my left arm goes numb pretty quickly, or if it doesn't go numb it hurts like hell from the tricep down, especially when I step off the bike and let my arm hang.

Depending on how I move my arm throughout the day my hand will go instantly "tingly" and sometimes numb.

I'm right handed for the gerkin jerkin so we know it's not that....help?

Should I take advantage of this and execute the stranger more often with less prep work required?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Check out the thread about an odd ache...sounds like you are putting your head in a position that is pinching the nerve at your neck that goes down your arm. No big deal really....until the discs herniates and leaks out requiring injections and/or possibly surgery. HTH and HTFU and keep riding.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I had/have a similar problem, it gets pretty awful at times. I found two different things that help. First was moving to a more upright riding position (riser stem, tall headtube), second was going to a chiropractor when it got so bad I almost couldn't ride. I have a problem in my neck (C5) that causes my arm to have problems.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MCF said:
Check out the thread about an odd ache...sounds like you are putting your head in a position that is pinching the nerve at your neck that goes down your arm. No big deal really....until the discs herniates and leaks out requiring injections and/or possibly surgery. HTH and HTFU and keep riding.
Thread is perfect...guess I should actually start READING threads in the lounge now......thanks.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
C5/C6/C7...they are SOB's!!! Being tall doesn't help at all. I never thought PT could help with a herniated disc, but doing all the exercises I hate (like standing in waste deep water with weights on my ankels and using an ore to row non stop for five minutes) really has helped. I always recommend to not crane your head back to look down the road, use your eyes. Try to keep your head in line with your back and use your core and back muscles to keep your back straight and chest out - this will raise you up some. You really don't need to see the horizon when riding, just a hundred yards or so ahead to see what is going on.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I just went through several months of chiro/PT for this.

ice, NSAIDs, massage, helped.

also google Bruegger Excercises.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.