Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It pains me to even think about this but I'm now faced with a dilemna. The age old question of a bike to look at vs a bike to ride.

Here's the story.

About five years ago I built this bike up as a fixed gear to ride occasionally on sunny afternoons or to sit at coffee shops and watch passers by ogle it. I got a lot of use and a great deal of pleasure out of it doing just that. I'm immensely proud of the way it turned out and not at all ashamed that almost every decision was based on aesthetics. I've since traded in the flite saddle for a brooks champion btw.

Two years ago I moved to England and this bike has been sitting in a spare room at my mothers house in Canada unridden ever since. It is truly a shame.

One of the other bikes that was left behind was a Carbon Fiber Giant TCR. Almost just as impracticle because I'm not racing and have really taken to steel for the kind of rides I do.

I'm considering converting the Marinoni into roadbike mode so that it can be ridden the way it deserves to be when I'm in Canada.

so

Either I strip the parts off the Giant and use them to build up the Marinoni. The parts are fairly weathered but still fully functional Ultegra 9 speed and mavic cosmos wheels. This would leave me with a fully functional steel bike to ride while in Canada without considerable expense (even making me a bit of money to help fund the purchase of a Bob Jackson to ride in England). This would definitely be a step down aesthetically speaking though.

Alternatively I sell the Giant as a whole and then use the money (and probably a bit more) on a new alloy Campy Centaur grouppo and perhaps some yellow velocity arrowhead wheels to give it a similar look to what it is now.

This is a bike that realistically speaking I'll probably only get to ride a handful of times every year. I know bikes are made for riding and I should probably do whatever makes sense practically and allows me to get the most use out of it for the least amount of expense... but on the other hand I just love the way it looks now and can't bare the idea of diminishing that in any way. My vanity is fighting a battle with my practicality.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Or....sell me the Marinoni :thumbsup:

I'm in Vancouver, and have a new Marinoni Piuma, but yours would make a nice match to my new one just the way it is! I've been looking for an older Marinoni to convert to fixed.

I know where you are coming from though...I have a hand built lugged frame, also built in Canada, from around 1986. I've converted it to fixed gear, and love it...until I see photos on this DAMNED forum of beautiful bikes from that era with a full Campy groupo!

I'm like the dog in Aesop's fable...always wanting what I don't have!

Nice looking bike though...personally, I'd leave it fixed, just as it is.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I like that Marinoni just the way it is.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I'm not really a fixie guy. If I do ever build one, I hope it will look as good as that.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Unless you are looking for an excuse to buy a new bike, I would just convert the Marinoni to 9-speed with the gear from your Giant. It wouldn't be that expensive to swap components, and you can hang on to your fixed-gear components in case you ever to want to change it back.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's far too nice be a fixie. I'd put some new alloy Centaur on it and give it some workouts. Some beat up Ultegra parts would make it roll, but this bike has some personality and deserves more that just functional parts. I think that's why you spent so much time and thought into building in the current state, right? Agree, I'd leave the yellow as it matches the lettering and looks great with the green. Maybe a Regal saddle, but that's just me.

brewster

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow it does look good jusitting there, JUST SITTING THERE. Gear that sucker and put it back on the road where it deserves to be. Most fixies rarely get enough miles, or at least mine didn't, after putting it back together it gets most of my miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts