Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
drwsport said:
Or should I try doing different adjustments myself.
Can you give us some background info? Type of bike? Where it was purchased (new/ used)? Were you ever sized/ fitted to it? How close to comfortable is it now? If it's not, what issues are you having? Do you understand bike geometry and in general what the best practices are for bike fit?

Not trying to be difficult, just asking for you to feed us info so we can give you some reliable feedback.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PJ352 said:
Can you give us some background info? Type of bike? Where it was purchased (new/ used)? Were you ever sized/ fitted to it? How close to comfortable is it now? If it's not, what issues are you having? Do you understand bike geometry and in general what the best practices are for bike fit?

Not trying to be difficult, just asking for you to feed us info so we can give you some reliable feedback.
No, I understand.
The bike is a quantana roo. It's used and probably three years old. I have borrowed it from a friend that bought a new bike. I have only been riding a few times. The only issues I have had so far is some minor discomfort in front of the sit bones. I have watched some videos of fittings and that's about it for my knowledge of it. The LBS said it $75.00 for a fitting. I'm thinking maybe I should put that money toward a new seat. The seat on it now is a San Marco.

·
Registered
669 Posts
No, I'd get the fitting.

If you're making adjustments yourself you'll spend a lot of time very slowly making progress. If after the fitting you still decide to change the saddle you'll have the great benefit of knowing your body position is correct and that the saddle is the variable to play with next.

Not to mention that a fitting has many important benefits beyond seat comfort.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
drwsport said:
No, I understand.
The bike is a quantana roo. It's used and probably three years old. I have borrowed it from a friend that bought a new bike. I have only been riding a few times. The only issues I have had so far is some minor discomfort in front of the sit bones. I have watched some videos of fittings and that's about it for my knowledge of it. The LBS said it $75.00 for a fitting. I'm thinking maybe I should put that money toward a new seat. The seat on it now is a San Marco.
I don't know what (if anything) you've ridden previously, but this being a tri set up, you're weight is slightly biased towards the front compared to a standard road bike. That (along with other variables like saddle to bar drop and reach) may be angling your pelvis in a way that causes the discomfort in front of the sit bones.

Given that you've had what sounds like a limited amount of time on the bike, for now I'd stay with checking that the saddle is level before going with a fitting or new saddle. If and when other fit issues crop up, then check into a fitting, but make sure the fitter has some experience setting up tri bikes.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Some can do it themselves, others cannot. I have had very little success fitting and making adjustments myself and fortuneatley I can pay others to do it that have done a great job. I actually cannot tell what adjustments my fitter is making. Whenever I have tried I was wrong so I don't worry about it anymore. You can only find out if you try. If you need a fitter they are not all created equal so ask around and get feedback if you are in an area where you have multiple choices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts