Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of Shimano 600 hubs off of eBay and I was going to get a pair of Mavic A119 rims to build a set of wheels for about 80% road riding and 20% light trail riding and gravel roads.

I have the opportunity to buy a set of Mavic Ksyriums with bladed spokes for about $200. These wheels have about 2,000 miles on them.

I have 3 questions about these wheels.

1) Will these wheels be ok on the trails and gravel roads?

2) I weigh about 260 pounds. Are these wheels strong enough for my bulk?

3) The Mavic site says the widest tire that can be put on these wheels 28mm (19mm rim). Sheldon Brown's site says that 32mm tires can be put on a 19mm rim. Can I indeed go with a 32mm tire?

Many Thanks for the info,
Ian

·
Registered
650 Posts
Probably not to the first.

I wouldn't try it for the second.

Mavic Ksyriums use aluminum spokes, spokes which you will probably destroy the first time you go over a pothole. You will not find very much love for them on this board.

·
Super Moderator
41,447 Posts
w98seeng said:
I bought a set of Shimano 600 hubs off of eBay and I was going to get a pair of Mavic A119 rims to build a set of wheels for about 80% road riding and 20% light trail riding and gravel roads.

I have the opportunity to buy a set of Mavic Ksyriums with bladed spokes for about $200. These wheels have about 2,000 miles on them.

3) The Mavic site says the widest tire that can be put on these wheels 28mm (19mm rim). Sheldon Brown's site says that 32mm tires can be put on a 19mm rim. Can I indeed go with a 32mm tire?

Ian
If they're the Ksyriums with steel spokes, and not Zircal, there aren't any stronger wheels made by Mavic; they'd be plenty strong. But there are several Ksyrium versions, and some of the lighter ones wouldn't be a good choice.

I've never done it, but it sure looks like a 32mm tire would work on my Ksyriums. I do run 28s, and probably have the fork clearance for more, but I like my current setup.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
w98seeng said:

Ian
My 2 cents,

1) I wouldn't ride it on gravel.

2) Probably not.

3) I'd follow Mavic's guideline....

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mavic

PigmyRacer said:
Probably not to the first.

I wouldn't try it for the second.

Mavic Ksyriums use aluminum spokes, spokes which you will probably destroy the first time you go over a pothole. You will not find very much love for them on this board.
What year and model K's are these?
I'll let you know that The Mavic Ksyriums are a favorite wheel for many in cyclocross because they are near impossible to destroy...so what does that tell you about durability.

If they set is the Mavic Ksyriums SL's (silver) and your don't buy them - I'll take them if they are tubular.

Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.