Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have close to 3000 miles on my 2004 Trek 5500 – purchased new in 05. I have had it back to the LBS for the obligatory adjustments, but I am wondering when it may need a “major tune-up”. I keep it extremely clean, including the drive train and everything seems perfect, with the possible le exception of the front DR – even this may be due to poor shifting on the part of the rider. I read some article in Bicycle magazine wherein it was suggested to replace the chain every 1000 miles. The last time the chain was checked was at 1800 miles and the mechanic said it was still near out of the box condition.

Being pretty new to this activity, I guess I’m not real sure as to what to look for as problem indicators – other than obvious ones.

I am an “older rider” and obviously do not subject the drive train to as much “hard” work as the younger guys – although I ride about 50 miles 3 times a week at a pace somewhere between 15 and 18 – with some sprints well into the twenties. Don’t know if I will see 30, but I will continue to try. (No downhill here in Florida)

So, if the drive train is silent, the shifting smooth – do I need worry about taking it in for a tune-up?

Another somewhat related question. I put a set of GP4000’s on about 800 miles ago. While cleaning the tires, I have noticed a few strands of thread coming loose from the tire right at the rim. Something like a cheap suit. I cut the strands rather than pull on them, but have not noticed anything similar on other tires. Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Ill-formed question

bboseley said:
I am an “older rider” and obviously do not subject the drive train to as much “hard” work as the younger guys – although I ride about 50 miles 3 times a week at a pace somewhere between 15 and 18 – with some sprints well into the twenties. Don’t know if I will see 30, but I will continue to try. (No downhill here in Florida)

So, if the drive train is silent, the shifting smooth – do I need worry about taking it in for a tune-up?
A bicycle that is just sitting in a damp basement with no maintenance can wear out much faster and much worse than a well-ridden but well-maintained bicycle. A silent and smooth drivetrain is usually a good sign, but you should inspect your bike more thoroughly. Some people are "brake-happy" and wear their pads faster than others. Some are "pothole-happy" and wear out their wheels faster than others.

Another somewhat related question. I put a set of GP4000’s on about 800 miles ago. While cleaning the tires, I have noticed a few strands of thread coming loose from the tire right at the rim. Something like a cheap suit. I cut the strands rather than pull on them, but have not noticed anything similar on other tires. Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.
If you are talking about thin, black, rubber threads, this is no reason to be concerned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.