Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted in this forum asking some questions about which wheels to buy. I got some great answers, so thanks guys! Anyway, it occurred to me that I really like my current set, especially the Ultegra hubs.

They are about 10 years old, like the bike, but the spokes are nearly shot, and I wouldn't mind a new set of rims. I have been looking at these wheels as a possible replacement. The cheapest build is less than $200 for 2. The Ultegra version gets up to $250-300.

So my question is, does it make sense to have the current Ultegra hubs rebuilt, in terms of cost and quality?
What would a decent bike shop usually charge in labor for wheelbuilding?
Any suggestions about decent, but inexpensive rims, spoke, etc. would also be helpful. Cost matters!

Thankyou! :thumbsup:

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
Hmmm let's see.

Decent rims might run you $40 each to approx $75 each for OpenPros. Let's say $80 for 2.
Decent spokes (DT Comp) are about $0.75 each. Assuming 32 per wheel = $48.
Wheelbuild - I'll guess at $40 per wheel. That's $80.

Total - $80 + $48 + $80 = $208.

Kinda puts the BWW in a good light doesn't it? Using your old hubs makes more sense if you found some rims on sale and built them up yourself.

When I got my OpenPro/DuraAce/DTComp/alum nipple wheels from them they were selling them for just over $400 at the time. The mailorder parts alone would have cost me $600.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I thought that might be the case. Sometimes it's just easier to start fresh.

Mike T. said:
Hmmm let's see.

Decent rims might run you $40 each to approx $75 each for OpenPros. Let's say $80 for 2.
Decent spokes (DT Comp) are about $0.75 each. Assuming 32 per wheel = $48.
Wheelbuild - I'll guess at $40 per wheel. That's $80.

Total - $80 + $48 + $80 = $208.

Kinda puts the BWW in a good light doesn't it? Using your old hubs makes more sense if you found some rims on sale and built them up yourself.

When I got my OpenPro/DuraAce/DTComp/alum nipple wheels from them they were selling them for just over $400 at the time. The mailorder parts alone would have cost me $600.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Say. While we are talking, what is the difference between 32 & 36 spokes? Are 33 much more durable? Worth the weight?

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
PulseOx said:
Say. While we are talking, what is the difference between 32 & 36 spokes? Are 33 much more durable? Worth the weight?
How heavy are you? What kind of riding? If you're 160lbs then 36 are overkill. If you're 260lbs then maybe they will help. If you're 360lbs definitely get them.

4 more spokes adds about 28 grams or roughly once ounce. That affects your performance very little but makes for a stronger wheel - if you need it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike T. said:
How heavy are you? What kind of riding? If you're 160lbs then 36 are overkill. If you're 260lbs then maybe they will help. If you're 360lbs definitely get them.

4 more spokes adds about 28 grams or roughly once ounce. That affects your performance very little but makes for a stronger wheel - if you need it.
I am about 225 and I try to ride lightly, but there are always potholes on NJ back roads. Sounds like I am on the fence, and it's a cost/benefit thing.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
PulseOx said:
I am about 225 and I try to ride lightly, but there are always potholes on NJ back roads. Sounds like I am on the fence, and it's a cost/benefit thing.
At that weight and with those roads, if you think you might need 36 spokes then you probably do. If it was me I'd do it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You'd be fine with 32 spokes and a stouter (450g+) rim in the rear. Keep in mind that typically about 60% of your weight is on the rear wheel (and it's easier to lift the front or steer it around things), so it almost always makes sense to use fewer spokes and/or a lighter rim up front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts