Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to get a gravel grinder bike. A little background. I'm heavy into mtn bike and have 4 different ones that I ride based on the trails and season. Example winter I ride fat and ss. I have a 2014 base model Roubaix and a nice 2015 tarmac. The tarmac is my go to road bike and the Roubaix sees most of its time in winter on trainer. I been wanting to take advantage of a bunch of gravel roads and have my heart set on a specialized Diverge. I know the diverge isn't a full blooded cx bike, but I was just trying to figure out if I should just for go the diverge or get a cx bike. I have no intentions of racing, just gravel and some mild trails. I do want disc brakes. Thoughts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
AKA Old Man
598 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Dumped my road bike and looking for a fun but serious gravel/road/cross bike, in that order. If I do a CX race it will be one of the less serious ones, more for fun, er beer and camaraderie. I thought of a CX bike, but the more I research I think I want something more lax, room for 40c tires, and a lower BB.. Not your typical cross...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have not stayed up to date with gravel/cx bikes but have had loads of fun on this Salsa Vaya. It's steel and heavy but very stable and comfortable on gravel fire roads in PA mountains.

Salsa Cowbell handlebars, Sram Apex 2x10, 34/46, 11-36, Avid BB7, 40mm Clement X'plor

·
Registered
668 Posts
Get what you'll ride more. The one that fits. Best parts group. Pick the shop first. Ok. Now that we've cleared those RBR cliches and tropes, I'd say get the CX bike.

If you like trails, the CX bike is generally better able to respond the way you want trails. They usually have slightly tighter clearances for tires. I have never ridden a "gravel" or "all road" bike on gravel, but my CX bike only gets squirrelly above 29 mph and on large grade gravel. I can get a 40mm on upfront and a 38 in the rear - both are adequate for me at 185#. (Although, clearance for a 2" would be nice on some B roads I like to ride.)

I've been bemoaning that many companies aren't marketing metallic CX/race bikes with mounts for racks, as I want to replace what I have with an updated version. I'll go custom when I get that kind of budget.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I've been bemoaning that many companies aren't marketing metallic CX/race bikes with mounts for racks, as I want to replace what I have with an updated version. I'll go custom when I get that kind of budget.
Check this out: Honey Bicycles » Cyclocross Utility

Absolutely love it. On the road with road tires it's every bit as capable as my carbon wonder bike, then I throw on big tires hit the trails and gravel roads and it's great there too. I've yet to make use of the rack mounts but it's nice to know they are there and I could do some light touring should I choose.

In case you never heard of Honey......it's Seven's steel brand.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A gravel bike tends to have a lil slacker and longer geometry than a CX bike for additional stability at speed on loose gravel surface.

The Diverge compared to the Crux is interesting as the Diverge has shorter GS, steeper head angle, and shorter WB. Fork trail #s are different though.

When u look at the Salsa Wardbird which is gravel specific race bike, it has longer WB and chanstays than both, slightly slacker up front than the Crux (almost the same).

Test ride both and see what you like. It almost seems like the Crux would be better.

If you find a good deal on a killer CX frame then that would be fine too.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Check this out: Honey Bicycles » Cyclocross Utility

Absolutely love it. On the road with road tires it's every bit as capable as my carbon wonder bike, then I throw on big tires hit the trails and gravel roads and it's great there too. I've yet to make use of the rack mounts but it's nice to know they are there and I could do some light touring should I choose.

In case you never heard of Honey......it's Seven's steel brand.
Heard of them. Never ridden or even seen In person but I've got time before I need to re-research the market. I'll keep them in mind.

And the rack mounts (8-12 grams?) definitely reduce the Rules adherence, but won't ever keep me off the podium in any race (that distinction belongs to my legs and lack of dedication).

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just bought a Litespeed T-5G and am excited to get it. Yeah, I did the wrong thing and bought it long distance over the phone on Craigslist, but my Cuz picked it up in person and brought it to a shop to ship. I had tried one out a while back and loved the bike, could not afford it. Now, at half price, totally jumped on it.

Now to see if I like it enough to not ride my Trek Domane... Current plan is to ride the Domane for the fast group rides Tue & Thurs and the Litespeed on the weekends. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
My search for an 'adventure' bike led me to a Norco Search.

I tried some CX Bikes - On the higher end, the BMC and Colnago cross bikes, and the Norco Threshold.

Ultimatel, it came down to feel, and budget. I didn't want to spend BMC/Colnago money on this bike, so it came down to the Threshold and the Search. I took both on long mix surface rides, with similar wheels and tires. The Search won out for me simply because it performed equally well on the gravel roads and trails I like to ride, and on the asphalt roads and trails I ride on to get to them.

I ride it with 35mm Clement XPLOR USH (120tpi). I run them at between 50 and 70 psi, depending on conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts