Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
While many carbon bikes appear similar, the super six is definitely no a copy of anything. It could be called an evolutionary step above the system six, but Cdale didn't copy any other manufacturer with either of those bikes. Let me guess. Your freind rides a Cervelo?

·
extremely biased
874 Posts
He's probably refering to the chainstays and seaststays.

The Super and the R3 (family including the RS) are the only two bikes produced (that is not a true monocoque) that have the BB shell and chainstays built into a single large piece; as in, there is no joint behind the BB. By extension, they are the only one that have the tiny seatstays. The chainstays are rigid enough to support the frame and the rider and neither design needs the seatstays other than somewhere to mount brakes and to be UCI legal. You can see the lug above the BB on the seat tube on the Supers where the mold starts. I wouldn't say it's a copy but the similarities are hard to overlook.

They don't share BB30, have different headtube sizes, and have much different down and top tube shapes.

Starnut

·
Registered
31 Posts
funny carbon13!
Several bikes have been going toward the big chainstays and small seat stays approach lately, and the Cervelo R3 was really the first to take that approach. The specialized SL2 bikes are using that design also. But as mentioned before there are many differences overall. I've had a Cervelo R3 before and my System 6 blows it away completely!

·
Registered
831 Posts
maybe
but effect of flex in the seatstays is what l was getting at
its just a way of engineering that into the material
l didn't say it was a copy
maybe its the most effective way with carbon fibre?

·
glutton for punishment
684 Posts
It's on either WeightWeenies or Fairwheel Bikes forum, or maybe both. I'll see if I can dig it back up tonight.

It's not all in the same place and a little confusing, b/c there's one big frame test with a 1 - 5 scale for stiffness (BB and HT separately) and then there's also individual bike tests for the R3 & SuperSix which shows actual deflection numbers. (To further confuse things, Tour switched scales between tests from Nm/mm to Nm/degrees.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
carbon13 said:
maybe
but effect of flex in the seatstays is what l was getting at
its just a way of engineering that into the material
l didn't say it was a copy
maybe its the most effective way with carbon fibre?
sorry, I wasn't really directing that at you specifically, just throwing my 2 cents in.

I'm no expert myself, but I did a little research on my R3 before I bought it, and according to Cerevlo, the chainstays are larger and squared out because they bear most of the lateral torsion in the rear end. The seatstays only take on a minimal vertical load, so by shaving them down there is a substantial weight savings, no loss of stiffness overall, and more flex which of course yields extra comfort. As far as designing seatstays with comfort in mind, yes there is no doubt C-Dale was the first!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cannondale Copy Other Designs Hmmm

Know I have three cannondale and about to add another one to the lot. Now on the debate of cannondale coping other manufactures designs I doubt but consider that Cannondale has the only Qlab state side that other manufactures submit there products to stress testing along with a few other things.

A former bike shop owner told me that he has toured the Cannondale Qlab on a number of his visits to cannondale. He said that there are various frames from other manufactures there for testing. Also that many of these frames were not available to the market yet. He did validate his claims with photos from inside the q lab. In the photos he showed was of the scott addict some two years before it every hit the pro tour.

So with that said when you have the opportunity to not only see what the competitor has but also test it, you tell me that you would not be taking notes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.