Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to but a 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport this weekend. Can anyone talk me out of it due to good reasons? Or maybe confirm this as a good bike to buy.
I am getting it for $1250. I will add a rack to commuting to work twice a week (26 miles round trip), and around 100-125 of fitness, road miles per week.
The bike will see little off road time (no hardcore singletrack stuff).
I wantto get something not very aggressive and with bigger tire width capabilities, which is why I am not getting a "road" bike.
Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is a decent bike. However, for the type of riding and the amount of miles you want to put on it, I recommend trying to get the best component group off the bat, which from experience with Sora/Tiagra, in my opinion, you should shoot for Shimano 105, SRAM Rival, or Campy Veloce.
You are proposing putting on 125-150 miles a week, 600 miles a month, and say you keep it up and do that for 9 months, thats 5400 miles in one year. Thats a butt load of miles, and I give you props if you keep it up. However, with my PERSONAL experience with Sora/Tiagra components, even if you keep it well tuned and clean, I doubt it will last as long or shift when you want it to shift every time. I think the component groups that I have listed above (or better), will hold up to that amount of commuting better.
Since you are getting a commuter, and not a race bike, I recommend you peruse your local bike shops and see what older models they have. Many times to entice buyers into buying their old stock, they transfer better component groups and lower prices to move them. Just make sure the shops aren't just throwing on a 105 rear derailleur with tiagra shifters or pulling stunts like that. Look for a full 105 or equivalent group. Also, almost any material will do well with the type of commuting/riding you propose, whether its all steel steel or aluminum (with hopefully a carbon fork) in your price range. Just don't let them squeeze you into a bike that doesn't fit.
Any ways, like I said, the tricross is a very good selling bike entry level bike for a reason. Its decent, but I think you can get more of what you need if you are patient and look around. Especially if you buy an older model, see if they will throw racks, pedals, and shoes on for a discounted/package price and save money down the road.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts