Votes: 3 25.0%
  • paint a different color

Votes: 4 33.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got this 2001 era Specialized bike, thats chipped up in a lot of places and the paint just looks dead on it. I think it might need a facelift (like a new paint job). First I was thinking powdercoat, but I dont want to spend more than 3 cans of spray paint, so im going to spray it myself (ive done it before http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=22622 )

So what im considering is:

a) keep the white theme--just spray it white (shows a lot of dirt and not different)
b) spray it like a matte black with black decals something like this:

c) leave as is
d) something else

Thanks for your vote!
jeremy

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Flat black will look cool, in a safe cool way, but you seem like safe isn't that big an issue. I say be bold, go with something that'll stand out.

·
Squalor
239 Posts
Powdercoat it...

The DIY job is probably OK on a road bike that will not get all abused, but on a cross bike that will get beat to hell, I would go with a more durable finish such as PC.

I had my Karate Monkey frame and fork coated locally for $65. I just took it to the place and told the guy to throw it in when he was doing a color that was not white or black. It ended up bright red. Not the best job in the world, but it looks a lot better and was cheap...

Good luck in any case...

LP

·
Registered
635 Posts
Does that frame have carbon seat stays? If so, i dont think you can powdecoat it. I like the orange idea though. I just sold a raw cross frame to a guy at work & he had it powdercoated bright orange. I bet you can see that thing from the moon. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had custom decals made up before and the guy even has faux black carbon, that might be sick. Cause yeah then I could make them say anything I want---Plus One Lap for example.

I have looked at making up some stickers for +1lap----to give away to folks. Just havent had the artistic stroke of genius of what they'd actually look like. I got a shop that'll do em cheap just need some artwork or design for them (hint to any cyclocross artists out there).

Also, i thought of having some special stickers made up for Plus One Lap Gallery contributors/members. like "# ____on Plus One Lap" And you'd just use a sharpie to put your bike's number in the blank. Its something I thought Fixed Gear Gallery should have done a long time ago, and I suggested it but they never did.

thanks for the tips bros
jeremy

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
kinda looks like you may have centered the decals on the tube... I made that mistake the first time I re-decalled a frame. The decals on most bikes are rotated upward a bit, since you are usually looking down on them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Hit it with aircraft paint stripper and leave it matte silver.
I did that with my old GT mountain bike frame. Looks bad, way bad, especially with the Girvin fork on it. Only problem is the aluminum stains very easily from gatorade and whatever. Wash the bike and when it dries you can see where the spills were.

The airframe stripper is just amazing stuff. Even it had a hard time with old decals, but the paint just peeled of. Sweet.

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there, I'm in the process of restoring my Ol' Cannondale frame and think the aircraft paint stripper is great. Where do you get that stuff?

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts