Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife informed me that she's going to Las Vegas to attend her niece's wedding (with her sister) this summer. Yeah, it's family, but it still hurt my feelings a bit that I wasn't asked to attend. Not going to get into all the background of our marriage, but long story short, we've been married 15 yrs and get along extremely well. However, I can't help but think she's being a bit selfish. (But I won't get into all of that)

So, she's going to Vegas, my 9 yr old boy is going to Florida for a week with his buddy, and my daughter's been asked to spend a week with one of her friends on their vacation this year. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have a popular family, it's just pretty apparent that I'm not:).

So, should I consider doing a man vacation this year? I'm an avid cyclist, but also thoroughly enjoy riding my motorcycle. I'm kicking around either doing a motorcycle road trip, OR, driving to the mountains and riding my bike for several days.

What would you do?
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Just make sure you do something better than the rest of those ingrates do.

Hawaii is my recommendation. Or perhaps Spain or Belgium. Italy?
 

·
...?
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Go, and when you get back make sure to tell lots of stories about how great it was. Exaggerate and make awesome stuff up if you need to.
 

·
Festina Lente'
Joined
·
11,508 Posts
Yes.

Include hookers and blow.

//EDIT: Go party with Joeh.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
I don't think pay back is the right way to think about it...

that being said, there is nothing wrong with seperate vacations..

I've been married 23 years and my wife goes to visit her father in Florida for a week every summer.... It doesn't bother me a bit...

A couple times per year, I will take an extra day or two on a business trip to ride my bike( usually with you RBR moreons:D )
 

·
Formosan Cyclocross
Joined
·
3,378 Posts
Self time is good. Maybe ask your wife if you can join her to Vegas and then agree to go your separate ways once you get there... and have a MAN vacation. Throw yourself a belated bachelor party. Or tell your wife that's what you're gonna do.
 

·
your text here
Joined
·
13,192 Posts
look up an old girlfriend on facebook and have your own class reunion.

Seriously, just take a few days off to Moto or ride. But do it with others. going off on your own makes it look like you have looked up an old girlfriend on facebook and are having your own class reunion.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,923 Posts
my wife is taking her mother to New Orleans next week and in may she is going to Kansas with her sisters......let me tell you if I did that.....there would be PURE hell to pay.....

when she gets back, there is a distinct possibility that my new bike will be built up!
 

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
Joined
·
12,638 Posts
SlowMo said:
My wife informed me that she's going to Las Vegas to attend her niece's wedding (with her sister) this summer. Yeah, it's family, but it still hurt my feelings a bit that I wasn't asked to attend. Not going to get into all the background of our marriage, but long story short, we've been married 15 yrs and get along extremely well. However, I can't help but think she's being a bit selfish. (But I won't get into all of that)

So, she's going to Vegas, my 9 yr old boy is going to Florida for a week with his buddy, and my daughter's been asked to spend a week with one of her friends on their vacation this year. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have a popular family, it's just pretty apparent that I'm not:).

So, should I consider doing a man vacation this year? I'm an avid cyclist, but also thoroughly enjoy riding my motorcycle. I'm kicking around either doing a motorcycle road trip, OR, driving to the mountains and riding my bike for several days.

What would you do?
I'm confused why you weren't invited.
 

·
Lemur-ing
Joined
·
18,987 Posts
Henry Porter said:
I'm confused why you weren't invited.
Grumpy old uncle that farts a lot at events maybe?

*Shrugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well...

Henry Porter said:
I'm confused why you weren't invited.
That makes two of us. I was hoping I wasn't making a mountain out of a molehill, as this has really gotten under my skin. I'm by no means a perfect husband, and I've made mistakes just like anyone can, but I'm honestly a pretty good guy all in all. (Okay, I actually think I'm a really good husband/father)

If the shoe were on the other foot, there's no way in the world I'd consider entertaining a trip like this without my wife. Okay, I'm actually extremely irritated by this entire trip. It's really getting to me.
 

·
Formosan Cyclocross
Joined
·
3,378 Posts
Wait! First start playing the Adam Carolla podcast for a week or so before she takes off. Then let her imagination do the rest.
 

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
Joined
·
12,638 Posts
SlowMo said:
That makes two of us. I was hoping I wasn't making a mountain out of a molehill, as this has really gotten under my skin. I'm by no means a perfect husband, and I've made mistakes just like anyone can, but I'm honestly a pretty good guy all in all. (Okay, I actually think I'm a really good husband/father)

If the shoe were on the other foot, there's no way in the world I'd consider entertaining a trip like this without my wife. Okay, I'm actually extremely irritated by this entire trip. It's really getting to me.
I say talk to her about it then. It doesn't make sense to this anonymous internet user.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Been doing one week solo for years. It's great.

I've been doing a short solo vacation every year for about 10 years. I used to get six weeks off, and my wife and kids were into a lot of stuff, so there was always some time when we couldn't get everybody aligned. One year I had a new truck, and I'd never been to Mt. Rushmore, so I took a week off and drove there solo from Reno. I took eight days for the trip, stopping here and there to ride or look around, and it was great.
I've made shorter trips almost every year since (about three days is as long as i like to be away from everybody), to Mt. St. Helens, Grand Canyon, Zion, up the California coast, down to LA. Sometimes I camp, but the last few years I've used cheap motels as bases.
We still do things together for the rest of our vacation, and my wife has flown out to meet me midway a couple of times, in Portland and Albuquerque (she does book-signing tours a few times a year, so the child care and home chores things even out)
It's not a "get away from the wife" thing at all. I'd like for her to go...but if she can't, that doesn't mean I have to miss out. I say go.
Not that this part is any of my business, but I'd also say to take a look at your relationship. Your reaction to this seems out of proportion to me. And "payback" in a marriage is never a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Henry Porter said:
I say talk to her about it then. It doesn't make sense to this anonymous internet user.
Did that already. She kind of blew it off and simply stated she was going for her niece. Basically, I'm apparently making a big deal out of nothing.

So - anyone up for a trip come early September?
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,962 Posts
I just got done making my first visit to Vegas. And let me tell you, your wife is doing you a favor. The place is an absolute $hithole.

I can say that when I was growing up my mom, my sister and I would visit my granny without my dad most of the time.

Your wife may have looked at the wedding as a familial obligation you wouldn't want to deal with. Have a man week guilt free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I don't think pay back is the right way to think about it...

that being said, there is nothing wrong with seperate vacations..

I've been married 23 years and my wife goes to visit her father in Florida for a week every summer.... It doesn't bother me a bit...

A couple times per year, I will take an extra day or two on a business trip to ride my bike( usually with you RBR moreons:D )
If you ever come to WV, give me a ring and I'll show 'ya some wonderful central-WV appalacia :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
jorgy said:
I just got done making my first visit to Vegas. And let me tell you, your wife is doing you a favor. The place is an absolute $hithole.
Your wife may have looked at the wedding as a familial obligation you wouldn't want to deal with. Have a man week guilt free.
I should have mentioned this, too: I have to go to Las Vegas a couple of times a year, and I absolutely hate the place. I'd seriously rather stay home and paint the kitchen than spend a week there.
And there's nothing more boring than a wedding. So missing a Vegas wedding wouldn't register very high on my irritation scale.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top