Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Cannondale R3000 with about 20k-25k miles on it. I'm wondering whether to replace the bars and/or stem as a premptive measure against failure. I've done about 25 races on the bike, couple of crashes but no visible damage to the bars. I've put aero extensions on a few times for time trials. I plan on getting a new bike next year but will keep this one as a backup and early season bike.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
A Pro would have his bars replaced after every crash. For someone who has to pay for their own bars, it depends on how light the bars are, and how many times you have crashed on them.

· Does it matter?
760 Posts
I'd replace the bars. I look at it this way, it's weighing on your mind, and you can get some handlebars for 30 bucks if you look around and don't mind it not being high end. That's not much really. Plus you're going to keep the bike.

I had a handlebar break at 20K miles. Luckily I was stopped at a light leaning on the bars when it gave out. It was making some noise prior to that and I regreased the connection a week earlier. I just recently replaced the bar again after that many more miles. I think the one I replaced was ok, but for 30 bucks, I'd rather just have the piece of mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.