Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many bikes, all of them now with Campy 6 through 10 speed groups. I've resisted the move to 11, because I just don't really need that extra cog and the 10 works great. I have 5 bikes now with 10 speed and having an 11 speed group would mean no spare wheels, chains, etc.

Anyway I have a new (to me) bike on the way with a Super Record 11 group. I'll probably give it a test spin but really plan on changing over a 10 speed group from the bike it's replacing and will sell the 11 to defray the cost. Has anyone gone from 10 to 11 and just thought " this is the best ever, wish I'd have done this years ago!" Mechanical group by the way.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I have many bikes, all of them now with Campy 6 through 10 speed groups. I've resisted the move to 11, because I just don't really need that extra cog and the 10 works great. I have 5 bikes now with 10 speed and having an 11 speed group would mean no spare wheels, chains, etc.

Anyway I have a new (to me) bike on the way with a Super Record 11 group. I'll probably give it a test spin but really plan on changing over a 10 speed group from the bike it's replacing and will sell the 11 to defray the cost. Has anyone gone from 10 to 11 and just thought " this is the best ever, wish I'd have done this years ago!" Mechanical group by the way.
I have 2 bikes with Campy 10 and two with Campy 11. Going to 11 was not a life changing event for me. However, one advantage is that you can use a wider range cassette without agonizing so much about having a low gear you may rarely use. The bad part with 11 is there is no cheap cassette option.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. Another point against the 11 is the chain. I think you have to have a special peen tool. The Campy 10 chains are frequently on sale on the British sites and I use the KMC quick link on them.

·
BikerFox Wannabe
696 Posts
Thanks Dave. Another point against the 11 is the chain. I think you have to have a special peen tool. The Campy 10 chains are frequently on sale on the British sites and I use the KMC quick link on them.
I had 5 bikes running Campy 10. Then I finally got curious enough to want to try electronic shifting and bought Record EPS and replaced one bike with 11 speed. I had held out for a long time from trying 11 speed because I'm heavily stocked in 10 speed spare parts...but I have to say, 11 speed EPS is very VERY nice! And word on the street is that 2015 mechanical is outstanding. I'm now seriously considering converting another bike to it.
As for 11 speed chains, I just use KMC X11SL with quick link.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I have 5 bikes now with 10 speed and having an 11 speed group would mean no spare wheels <snip>
That's not correct. :)
If your wheel is 10 speed compatible it's also 9 and 11 speed compatible.

I went from 10 to 11 six years ago. I like the extra cog (even tighter on the flats or wider in the mountains), and the comandiergonomy is a whole lot better too. Broken G-springs is a thing of the past as well.</snip>

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I am using the KMC link on my 11-speed right now. I did buy a Lezeyne chain tool that supports peening but I decided the process seemed too error prone.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
On the other hand, using the Campag tool with the Campag chain is fail safe.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not correct. :)
If your wheel is 10 speed compatible it's also 9 and 11 speed compatible.

I went from 10 to 11 six years ago. I like the extra cog (even tighter on the flats or wider in the mountains), and the comandiergonomy is a whole lot better too. Broken G-springs is a thing of the past as well.</snip>
Ahh good to know. I'd thought I remembered reading somewhere about (maybe Zipp?) a newer freehub being 11 speed only.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Power Shift unreliable
Broken G-springs don't apply to 11 speed, but Athena Power Shift shifters are not reliable. Mine broke within a year. It shifts to larger cogs correctly, but drops all the way to the smallest cog with any thumb press. There's a lot of reports of this same failure.

Instead, I got a replacement/upgrade shifter body , a Chorus EC-RE100 Ultrashift. It needs a little trimming on the Athena hood to accommodate the longer thumb press.

Quick Links
Sram 11-speed Powerlock quick links work great with Campagnolo chains.

11 speed hubs
Some 10 speed hubs don't fit 11 speed cassettes, since the 11 largest cog is offset toward the center of the hub. But 11 hubs will fit 10 speed cassettes.

Campagnolo compatible with Shimano cassettes
On 11-speed, Shimano and Campagnolo cassettes have essentially the same spacing, so either cassette will work with the other's derailleur. (They still have different splines, so you do need the correct hub for the cassette, same as before.)

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Broken G-springs are gone on 11 speed, but Athena Power Shift shifters are not reliable. Mine broke within a year. It shifts to larger cogs correctly, but drops all the way to the smallest cog with any thumb press. There's a lot of reports of this same failure.

Instead, I got a replacement/upgrade shifter body , a Chorus EC-RE100 Ultrashift. It needs a little trimming on the Athena hood to accommodate the longer thumb press.

Quick Links

Sram 11-speed Powerlock quick links work great with Campagnolo chains.
I would gladly go back to g-springs. I've never broken one in a total of 41 years of use (concurrent use over 3 bikes). They are cheap to replace. On the other hand my Athena powershift lever failed after 3 years in the same way rm described

·
Registered
440 Posts
I went for SR 6sp to the SR11sp. I'm sold and would not go back.

You have to make certain you maintain it a bit more. The system does not like friction and that will cause issues. Of course, EPS will resolve that in a hurry.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
As others have said

1. You don't have to buy the $200 Campy chain tool. Lezyne makes a tool for removing the pins, and then I just use links. They're so much more dependable than pins.

2. Unlike Shimano, Campy cassette bodies are backward compatible -- you don't need a new wheel set.

3. I went from 9-speed to 11-speed and didn't notice a big difference. Maybe a bit more shifting. The skeleton brakes are definitely WAY better.

4. I'd lean towards keeping the Super Record. I buy Chorus groups because I'm too cheap to spend more, and too fat to notice a 200 gram difference. At least that's what I keep telling myself. You're never disappointed with the best.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I would gladly go back to g-springs. I've never broken one in a total of 41 years of use (concurrent use over 3 bikes).
I had to rebuild my rear shifter every 2-3 years even with low annual mileage.

Conversely my first set of Ultrashift levers are still running flawlessly after four years and 21,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I had to rebuild my rear shifter every 2-3 years even with low annual mileage.

Conversely my first set of Ultrashift levers are still running flawlessly after four years and 21,000 miles.
Did they break or do you mean you overhauled them because they got soft?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Did they break or do you mean you overhauled them because they got soft?
Sometimes the detent end of a G-spring broke off due to fatigue. Sometimes that leg just abraded enough they no longer held well.

Eventually metal fatigue also took out the thumb button spring, front paddle spring, and ratchet pawl spring.

At least the button and paddle springs were retained on the Ultrashift levers, so I'm ready for their failure with spare levers - NOS 2010 Veloce 10 speed and 2014 Chorus 11.

My left lever was always fine - I never had to repair it from 1996 until I retired it in 2012.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It depends on your need, i have a 12-27 (10s), 11-28 (11s) - i like better my 10s because of the 16 cog.

I wish I had an 11-27 (11s) but this doesn't exist

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
I made the jump from 2012 SRAM Rival 10 to 2014 Campy Chorus 11. Not apples to apples, for certain, but I'll still venture an opinion.

I found that even going from 50-34 to 52-36 up front, the 12-29 cassette gave me all the range I needed to deal with really hilly rides like Banff to Jasper (Alberta....nice little Rocky Mountain ride). The extra cog wasn't earth shattering, but it has allowed a little bit better fine tuning when it comes to the gearing...I'm just a hair bit better able to keep my cadence where I want it / like it and that has made it a little easier on the long rides.

Sure, going from Rival to Chorus is like going from a Corvette to a Ferrari....it was a big step up and that certainly has played a part in why I'm a Campy convert. That said, if your 10 spd group is working well, there's no pressing need to change. If you have the opportunity to do it with the new bike, well, there's no time like the present. :) I'd say give the 11 speed group a try and see what you think of the feel of the more current group and the extra cog on the new bike before you pull it off...I suspect you'll like it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts