Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Edge 500, and my only gripe with it is that sometimes it hangs on startup. I use a Stages PM, and a HRM, and sometimes the calibration takes forever. Other times, it calibrates, but then it won't leave the calibration screen. Still other times, it calibrates, then goes to the menu screen, and it won't go to the ride screen. I follow the instructions on the Stages website, but I still get the problem. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, the only way to fix it seems to be to restart 2-3 times.

Should I upgrade to the 520? Riders who have used both, is the 520 more stable than the 500?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I had a 500 that worked flawlessly. It did not have any of the issues you describe about yours. If mine operated like yours I would have replaced it immediately.

I sold my 500 because it wasn't displaying power readings like it was supposed to. Not until after I sold the unit did I discover the issue was with the PM transmitter setting and not with the 500. Had I discovered this earlier I would likely still own the 500.

That said, I would recommend upgrading to the 520 simply because your 500 isn't working correctly.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The 520 is the 510 replacement and then some. The 520 is a solid model that has compatibility with all modern garmin equipment.

You can not go wrong.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I've had several 500's over the years. While mostly dependable, they've all had a few instances where they'd freeze. I've had the 520 since they came out and haven't had any issues with stability.
Several? Many bikes or broken or what?

I aske because I have an 800 that has been going strong since 2011. 18k in miles of road, dirt, and trainer. Not a huge amount of miles, but the dirt ones are bumpy. Some of the crashes on dirt broke a handle bar, bent a rim etc. Yet, the 800 keeps on going.

·
Registered
214 Posts
When I owned a 500 I only encountered one issue with my HRM going off the chart. However, during the debugging of that, I formatted and reinstalled the latest firmware on the 500 and it was great until it was eventually stolen.

Sure the 520 has a few more bells and whistles, and if you really want those, go for it. However, I wouldn't "upgrade" for stability alone.

Since this would be largely firmware issues, I'd be inclined to try and fix it by doing a factory reset or format and following with reloading the latest firmware.

Garmin has a reputation for poor software, and so upgrading may not be a panacea for stability issues. My current 810 was a PIA for the first six months, and I went through a variety of firmware installs to get it to it's current stable form.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You only have to look at the Garmin forums to see that many users complain about various bugs in the 520 (and all the other devices) so an upgrade is no guarantee of a stable product, and a stable product is no guarantee that they wont balls it up with a future software update.

having said that, I upgraded from a 500 to a 510 and glad that I did. The main reason for me was the wireless activity upload and the GPS stability with GLONASS. The 500 would often go off segment, I don't think the 510 ever has. I had a few issues with the 510, but after reformatting the device it has been solid, but then I don't upgrade software much either. If there are features in the 520 you want, there is no reason not to upgrade.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll jump in here as well:

Just retired the 500 as I received the 520 as an anniversary gift from my wife. So far, I haven't had any of the issues others have complained about.

500:
took forever to get sat/gps lock
blocky display

520:
no issues yet
fast sat/gps lock
great display (seriously, like going from Nintendo to a PlayStation)
live tracking (for the wife's ease of mind as I generally ride alone)

Overall, I'm quite happy with it and say it's been a good upgrade from the 500. Go read DC Rainmakers blog; more info there than you can shake a stick at.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Liked my 500, *love* my 520, steered clear of 510 (nothing against it per se, just didn't feel like I needed it and 520 was already coming out soon).

For me, the GLONASS+GPS availability really increases accuracy for rides in canyons/hills. That alone makes it worth it.

Screen is great, battery is fine, and use with Varia rear radar is cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts