Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of riding I do now involves climbing. I ride on Saturdays with a club and then by myself once or twice a week and probably average 100 miles a week. I guess 100 miles is not much compared to what some of you guys on this forum average.

My question is this, if I upgrade my current Bontrager Race X Lite wheels, or just buy a lighter bike like the Cervelo R3 or R3sl, will there be a noticeable difference in the quality/feel of the ride? Will I be able to climb faster? Should I just save my money?

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Here comes a "jerk" post...

Neither, unless something is fubar.

Relying on equipment to make your climbs easier is silly with the current "caliber" of bike you've got - it's good enough. You'll spend hundreds to thousands to probably drop a pound on the bike when a more significant and cheaper benefit can come out of improving your own form/fitness. Sorry, but no excuses for a bike upgrade in through this scenario - although if you've got the dough, you're respectfully charge of what happens with your bike.

Of course, my post can be thrown out the window if you're a regular racer/generally fast guy with those 100mi/week.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Cervelos are the best bikes I've ever ridden. I like them better than any Pinarello or Colnago I've ever tried, and certainly more than any Trek or Specialized or any other brand.

With that said, it seems like you're relying on equipment to get faster. If you want to ride faster, then ride faster. Have trouble with hills? Ride more of them. Want to shed a pound of bike? It's easier and cheaper to just shed a pound of bodyweight.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
You can buy speed in motor sports.
You can't buy speed on the bicycle.

Go ahead and diet a little. It'll save you money actually. Drop 10 pounds and you'll go uphill a little faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.