Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought this bike in 2018,then upgrage a carbon wheelset,riding about 14k,still working fine,I am still like it very much,very delicate riding not too aggressive,
but the disc bike are the trend and there are more models coming out,but fewer and fewer rim brake,i am planing to do more hill climbing,will rim brake wheel will cause any any problem? are rim brake going out of stage in the future.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,583 Posts
Rim brakes, disc brakes, they're all good. Don't overthink that.

One important thing here is that you upgraded a rim brake bike with carbon wheels. Did you get carbon wheel specific brake pads? Very important.

·
Registered
23,793 Posts
I have bought this bike in 2018,then upgrage a carbon wheelset,riding about 14k,still working fine,I am still like it very much,very delicate riding not too aggressive
If you're doing 'delicate non aggressive' riding then upgrading to disc just for the sake of it makes no sense.

i am planing to do more hill climbing,will rim brake wheel will cause any any problem?
Disc brakes serve no benefit in hill climbing. If anything they'll slow you down as most disc brake bikes are heavier than rim brake bikes.

Disc brakes are great all around. But they shine in two areas. Aggressive descending. And wet riding. If you're not riding either if these, then you'll really see no benefit in them.

are rim brake going out of stage in the future.
Yes. Each year it's harder and harder to find new bikes with rim brakes. Most of the major manufacturers don't even offer rim brake versions in their mid to high end bikes. Only entry level.

But you'll be able to buy rim brake wheelsets for many years to come for your existing bike.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
You have a lot invested in your bike, it looks good.
To go to disk brakes, you will need to start all over, you cannot just put disks on a rim brake bike. At the very least you will need new fork & wheels, shifter/brake units, brake lines, including the new brake system itself.
If you descent rapidly, you will really not use your brakes that much. IMO, a disk brake bike will handle and brake that last 2% better though, if you are not racing I doubt that the upgrade would be worth it.
Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I think one can flip the bike with either disk or rim front brake, the 2% is in the fine tuning of the level of power and in the increase control/stiffness of the front fork.
Now if you want to go down slow, a disk brake setup is much better as it will dissipate heat a lot better than carbon rim brakes.
I only decant wine!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
What if I was a ... clown?
When braking, I can flip my bike anytime I want. I regularly lift the rear wheel in emergency stops, usually in a .spin turn.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,583 Posts
What if I was a ... clown?
When braking, I can flip my bike anytime I want. I regularly lift the rear wheel in emergency stops, usually in a .spin turn.
If you weight your body correctly for the situation, this won't happen. Clowns know how to do that.

·
Registered
27,596 Posts
Really nice looking bike! Everything well integrated. And a sane saddle you could ride all day.

The only issue I see is: what kind of grip do those rims have with the braking pads, you know, in the wet, at high speeds or panic stops? Aluminum grips very smoothly in these situations. A nice set of aluminum rims might work more reliably than those carbon hoops.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have done 2-3 mile high speed descents with rim brakes and disc brakes, and both systems will work fine if they are properly set up. For you that means having the right brake pads for your wheels and keeping them clean. Disc brakes also take maintenance, more so than rim brakes, so you are probably better off keeping a bike that you love than buying a new bike that might not hit that mark. The brakes don't make that much of a difference unless you really, really like to ride in miserable conditions where a disc brake system shines.

·
Registered
Specialize Frame,Hunt Limitless 42,Shimano GRX RX800 Series,Zipp handlebar ...
1 Posts
Look at your wheelset it should be Elitewheels,I have bought a set of Drive 40V carbon spoke rim brake,The textured brake track used on my wheel has a consistent wet/dry braking,they are ok to handle most of the disc brake riding conditions as long as you check and clean the brake track regularly especially after each wet weather riding.I would still stick to rim brake until the bike frame broken or any vital part go beyond unusable.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Disc brakes may be a benefit for climbing on the way down if the roads are long, steep and curvy to the point where cooking your carbon rims is a concern. Very very few roads require that much breaking. We're talking like Mt. Washington if it was legal to ride down unless your rims or pads suck and can't take the heat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts