Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk of Lance's retirement after this season or next has been more frequent lately. So I started wondering whether Lance should reconsider his options (not that we know what he wants to do). Even if Lance's potential as a Tour winner decreases with age, he still has one of the biggest engines in pro cycling. I believe he could go back to the spring classics and/or win stages in the Tour. Acting as a mentor for younger cyclists for the next several years is also good for US cycling. Although there's a sports mentality to retired when on top, I have tremedous respect for riders who continue to ride for the love of the sport even if they are past their prime. I suppose the most difficult thing for great champions is the deflation of their ego, when their abilities start to decline. But that's not what life is about, for me anyways.

What do you think? Should Lance convert back to "Classics" rider/mentor? Or ride off into the sunset?

Coot

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Why ??????

He already has enough money to fill a swimming pool. Does he need more ?
I think that he will retire after this year, no matter what happens.

·
Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Should retire after this year....

He should absolutely retire after this year. His oldest kid will be doing the school thing (what's that, kindergarten or something around age 5?), and he can be there every single day to see his kids grow up.

That's more admirable to 99.99% of the people in the world, rather than just putzing in some races here and there and getting whooped on by arrogant 23 year olds who will say "lance who?" as they pass him.

Retire on top, see his kids grow up, maybe go in for show and tell, otherwise, chill.......

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
He's an all american boy and

he needs to do his share to keep our good old free enterprise system health here in the good old USA. Namely, put his name and face on as many products and commercials as humanly possible.

Maybe he can go head to head with Michael Jordon. Michaels got the Jockey spot, maybe Lance can take Joe Boxer spot. As much as a tight @ss as Lance seems to be I know it will be tough, but I certain with the proper trainer and support team they could train him him to do a slick Joe Boxer Dance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am a Lance fan, but...

I would like to see him ride COMPETITIVELY in the Giro and Vuelta as well. Five straight TdF's is great, but I have heard and tend to agree with criticism that dominating one event while virtually ignoring the others is kind of lame. Not that I could even finish one of these events.
Has anyone ever won this "Triple Crown" in one season? I personally think that would be the most enormous achievement. If Lance ever decided to do it, it should erase any doube as to his greatness and place in the sport, if successful. But I suppose the French would once again accuse him of doping again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd love to see him refocus his career after this year on being a World Cup rider like Bettini. To me, the one-day races are just as exciting as the grand tours (kind of like one-day cricket test matches vs. the traditional multi-day tests).

It would let the average American know that there's more to pro cycling than the TdF. Maybe we could get a World Cup event in the U.S. that would draw all the big Euro teams.

Chances are, tho, he will retire after this year.

Coot72 said:
Talk of Lance's retirement after this season or next has been more frequent lately. So I started wondering whether Lance should reconsider his options (not that we know what he wants to do). Even if Lance's potential as a Tour winner decreases with age, he still has one of the biggest engines in pro cycling. I believe he could go back to the spring classics and/or win stages in the Tour. Acting as a mentor for younger cyclists for the next several years is also good for US cycling. Although there's a sports mentality to retired when on top, I have tremedous respect for riders who continue to ride for the love of the sport even if they are past their prime. I suppose the most difficult thing for great champions is the deflation of their ego, when their abilities start to decline. But that's not what life is about, for me anyways.

What do you think? Should Lance convert back to "Classics" rider/mentor? Or ride off into the sunset?

Coot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts