Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
They put that headline there to be sensational. I'm sure it brings a bigger audience to shock people.

Otherwise, the article is more about getting ourselves together before we blame motorists.

I can't say that cyclists are entirely free of blame. I've seen some awful riding and flaunting of traffic safety rules amongst us.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In the last week I've seen two people on bikes riding along the center line of the road in traffic, no left turn lane coming up or even anything on the left side to turn into. I have no idea what they thought they were doing, but I thought they were idiots.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mahatma Kane said:
In the last week I've seen two people on bikes riding along the center line of the road in traffic, no left turn lane coming up or even anything on the left side to turn into. I have no idea what they thought they were doing, but I thought they were idiots.
saw a kid on a fixie wearing big headphones, splitting lanes of traffic.

oh, he was going against traffic on the other side of the street. :rolleyes:

that'll make friends.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
SM-Rider said:
How about the ones that talk on their cell phone while riding? Brilliant!
better, he was part of a local team i think i t was motor tabs and he was on a training ride and sat up pull the phone out and was texting all whilst going 20+ mph

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
As a rider who lives in Orange County let me just say we are blessed with some really amazing bike lanes. We are also cursed with some of the worst drivers in the U.S. I have lived and ridden here since 1998 and it just keeps getting worse. I used to commute 9 miles to work every day when I worked in Irvine. Even though the route had a bike lane the width of a car lane it was a rare day that a car was not parked, stopped or swerved in to that lane on my way to work. Let me also just say that having ridden the roads of OC for a long time, the Orange County Wheelmen are as guilty as the rest of the clubs of doing all of the things outlined! So endorsement by them to me is just BS. We have a bunch of nuvo riche, Mercedes driving, arrogant, frustrated, in a hurry, inattentive texting, cell phone talking, drivers that really don't give a crap if they hit a cyclist here as long as they get where they are going on time! Ride through CDM, Laguna Beach, Irvine, Newport Beach on any given day to find out how really dangerous it can be to share the road with these people.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
rward325 said:
As a rider who lives in Orange County let me just say we are blessed with some really amazing bike lanes. We are also cursed with some of the worst drivers in the U.S. I have lived and ridden here since 1998 and it just keeps getting worse. I used to commute 9 miles to work every day when I worked in Irvine. Even though the route had a bike lane the width of a car lane it was a rare day that a car was not parked, stopped or swerved in to that lane on my way to work. Let me also just say that having ridden the roads of OC for a long time, the Orange County Wheelmen are as guilty as the rest of the clubs of doing all of the things outlined! So endorsement by them to me is just BS. We have a bunch of nuvo riche, Mercedes driving, arrogant, frustrated, in a hurry, inattentive texting, cell phone talking, drivers that really don't give a crap if they hit a cyclist here as long as they get where they are going on time! Ride through CDM, Laguna Beach, Irvine, Newport Beach on any given day to find out how really dangerous it can be to share the road with these people.
good point on that, i've seen them roll lights as well.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
rward325 said:
+2...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Also live in Irvine. OC is definitely a great place for riding bikes. I'm sure that problems with drivers texting and in a rush is not exclusive to OC. Having said that, I recently had a driver cut right in front of me, into the bike lane, to make a right hand turn....I raised my hand up and guess what....got the middle finger from the driver :rolleyes: WTF

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Cni2i said:
Also live in Irvine. OC is definitely a great place for riding bikes. I'm sure that problems with drivers texting and in a rush is not exclusive to OC. Having said that, I recently had a driver cut right in front of me, into the bike lane, to make a right hand turn....I raised my hand up and guess what....got the middle finger from the driver :rolleyes: WTF
Sounds like you need to carry chips of ceramic in your pocket.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You know, i have to be honest. I don't think the bulk of the 88 cycling deaths in orange county were the result of reckless or careless riding. The 7 deaths mentioned this year were all cases of motorvehicle driver error. One was actually a truck driving the wrong way down a one way road. As easy as it is to blame cyclists for enraging motorists with their behavior, the truth is that reckless/careless driving is commonplace and accepted.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think the article raises some good points, though it reads a tad alarmist to me. Still, if that helps to get people just thinking about being a little safer, so much the better.

Frankly, with how populous the area's become, I'm surprised the accident rates aren't actually a little higher. But OC does have some of the most amazing bike routes and lanes in the US. And it's got great clubs doing good work raising awareness.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts