Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I patch 'em and forget 'em. And as such I have no idea how many patches I have on my tubes right now. Probably only a couple (2 or 3). I've never tried any self-sticking patches, and to be honest i really dont see the need for them. Gluing patches only takes a minute.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Seriously…how often do you guys flat?

Maybe my tires aren't nice enough to be light and get flats (Still on the Mondos that came with my Allez last year). Maybe I don't ride enough. Maybe the roads where I ride don't suck. But I've had 2 flats in a year. One was from a gitant pothole I hit avoiding a dumb pedestrian, the other just kinda showed up at the start of one ride.

Seriously. There are cost considerations with tubes?

Tubes cost like $6. So, $12 in a year. I've spent more than that on bar tape because I just wanted to try different things.

Maybe if you're running tubeless, it's worth it to patch the tire (or just resort to a tube, eventually).

Maybe this fall when I'm actually commuting on it (minimum of 200 miles/week), I'll get it…but I just can't seem to figure out how $6 tubes are at all a cost factor when a lot of the people on this board appear to be riding DA, Red, Super Record, expensive wheels, power-tap toys, etc..

Suck it up and buy tubes. Those 2 minutes of time to patch a tube are worth more than the tube to me, especially when it comes only appears to come up twice a year.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
moostapha said:
Suck it up and buy tubes. Those 2 minutes of time to patch a tube are worth more than the tube to me, especially when it comes only appears to come up twice a year.
For me, usually 2 flats per season with Mich. Krylion. I bring a tube with me (and a patch kit just in case) so I don't have to patch on my ride. I just put the new tube in and patch the old tube when I get home. I'm not on a Carbon bike w/DA & $1500 wheels.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I patch the tube until it doesn't fit in the tire any more. Also, the extra rotational weight makes for a better workout. Also-also, the bumpy ride from all those patches is getting me ready for Paris-Roubaix. Also-also-also, those three or four layers of patches make my tires pretty bombproof.

Hell, I just like sniffing those crazy glue fumes...

·
Registered
96 Posts
im suprised.. no one has yet mentionned patching tubes.. cuz well.. being on a zero emissions vehicule ( some of you guys DO commute to work :p ) patching tubes just makes sence dangit!!!! lol

what good is being a cyclist whom wastes instead of fixes? how can we stand looking at the poor schmucks who polute our air driving to the quicky mart.. a half mile away... instead of biking or walking there for his or her snack and then send a pile-o-tube with only one tiny hole.. totally patchable... to the trash??? arrogance i tells ya!

cmon Mr.Grumpy... tell me I`m not off my rocker! lol

·
Roll Model
384 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Science has proven that if you have one flat on your bike, you will have another one, sooner or later. This is the reason that you should always buy a new bike when you get a flat.
That is undeniably one of the greatest theories of all time! Now if I can just convince the wife...

PS-I stole your quote for my sig, hope that's cool, thanks!

Oh yeah, I change out on the road and patch when I get home then put that tube back in the rotation but I do keep a kit on the bike in case I get more than one.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
I always seem to run out of patches before I run out of glue. I have managed to talk my local LBS into selling me a couple dozen patches a few times.

When performance has their patch kits on sale I will buy 3 or 4 to have around.

Never buy the kits with the variety of patch sizes, waste of money. Don't know who would use those big oval patches. I have actually cut those in two and used them.

Best patch kits by far is from Rivendell. The patches are exactly the size of a dime, perfect size. Unfortunately relatively expensive.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
ColoradoVeloDude said:
Sheeshz....$4 tube, maybe less. What is your time worth (per hour?) Factor that in and I think the answer is pretty obvious....
exactly! it cuts into precious forum board posting time!
Or it's just because some people don't want to throw things away that can be easily fixed.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Mootsie said:
Inner tube $4.
Peace of mind: priceless

Like someone said before, if you know how to patch a tube, the patch is a strong or stronger than the rest of the tube. At worst, a patch can have a slow leak (you can check this in a water bath in the sink before re-installing it in the tire. I've never needed any peace of mind about a slow leak.

I patch up to 5 times. No problems, even then they just look kind of ugly.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I bought a big can of cement from an auto store and a bulk box of Rema patches. I found the patches were too big for the mostly pinhole-sized punctures so I cut patches out of an unfixable tube. They've worked as well as or better than the Rema patches though I have to remove the mold release on two surfaces.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
biketiresdirect.com usually has Michelin tubes for around 5-6 bucks. Their patch kits are pretty awesome too.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Yes! This!! +1

I consider it a waste of resources not to patch. Those tubes don't benignly grow on trees ya' know. Consider the petroleum/energy used in the manufacture, packaging and transport, vs the smaller amount of material in a patch. Consider the volume of waste added to landfills. I know you guys aren't recycling these things. Tubes that aren't rideable anymore I have used for tie downs.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
theBreeze said:
Yes! This!! +1

I consider it a waste of resources not to patch. Those tubes don't benignly grow on trees ya' know. Consider the petroleum/energy used in the manufacture, packaging and transport, vs the smaller amount of material in a patch. Consider the volume of waste added to landfills. I know you guys aren't recycling these things. Tubes that aren't rideable anymore I have used for tie downs.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.
tie downs thats a good idea! lol I`ve used my old tubes to isolate rattles once I`ve plunkered a solid sound system in my cars too lol dang rattles.. drive me bonkers

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I don't even ride a new tube twice.
I put in new Michelin AirStop Tubes after each 45 mile training ride.

john

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Rema

pulser955 said:
So I have a box full of tubes that need patches. Where do I get glue on patches and glue in large quantity?
Rema sells patches by the 100 and 8 oz cans of rubber cement. IMO, Rema is the gold standard for tire patches.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Patch size

Squint said:
I bought a big can of cement from an auto store and a bulk box of Rema patches. I found the patches were too big for the mostly pinhole-sized punctures so I cut patches out of an unfixable tube. They've worked as well as or better than the Rema patches though I have to remove the mold release on two surfaces.
Rema makes different size patches. The small ones are less than 15 mm and I can't imagine a tube for which they would be too large. I used to use cut up inner tubes for patches, but I have had better experience with the Rema (and other "professional") patches.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Time value

ColoradoVeloDude said:
Sheeshz....$4 tube, maybe less. What is your time worth (per hour?) Factor that in and I think the answer is pretty obvious....
Indeed it is obvious, given that it takes maybe 5 minutes to patch a tube. If you had a bunch to patch, it would be less than that. So yes, it is obvious that it is a lot more cost effective to patch tubes, and that doesn't count all that time it takes to go to the bike shop or hunt around web sites to buy new tubes :)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts