Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Rema makes different size patches. The small ones are less than 15 mm and I can't imagine a tube for which they would be too large. I used to use cut up inner tubes for patches, but I have had better experience with the Rema (and other "professional") patches.
Even the smallest Rema patches are overkill for the average puncture. When they wrap around the tube, it makes you have to sand and clean a larger area and it makes it harder to clamp during curing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
bamm38 said:
Well this sounds super cheap, but I am wondering if any one patches a minor flat and continues to use the tube? I hate to throw them out. Is it safe / reliable?
Totally safe and a common practice. I always carry a couple of tubes on rides. Keep flat tube and take it home. Once you have a few flat tubes, you can patch them all at the same time. I recommend that you get a little can of tube glue at walmart.

Technique to patch is to use sand paper to clean area around flat. Apply glue and wait until it dries. Apply a small patch over hole. Area with glue should be wider than patch to make sure all corners glue properly. Let glue dry. Do not apply patch when glue is wet. Apply patch and hold tight and make sure all corners are glued. to tube. Let patch cure and inflate tube inside tire.

I have tubes with five or six patches on them. I want to see how many patches I can put on a tube.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Squint said:
Even the smallest Rema patches are overkill for the average puncture. When they wrap around the tube, it makes you have to sand and clean a larger area and it makes it harder to clamp during curing.
at least around here you can buy "patches" in large squares where you then cut the piece out you want. It's not tapered towards the edges, but once the tube is in, it does not matter.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Overkill

Squint said:
By that definition, any patch larger than about 4 mm is overkill. And FYI, you let the glue dry, you apply the patch (with strong finger pressure) and you're done. There is no need to "clamp during curing" because once the patch is applied, there's no further "cure" required.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts