Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to dabble at wheel building/ spoke replacement and took some bent spokes off a OP wheel built by Excel that I've been meaning to fix. When I unscrewed the nuts off the spokes I was expecting to see some trace of spoke prep around the thread end of spoke and nut but I see absolutely nothing. Shouldn't I see some spoke prep?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
Visible spoke prep

lsnfa said:
I've finally decided to dabble at wheel building/ spoke replacement and took some bent spokes off a OP wheel built by Excel that I've been meaning to fix. When I unscrewed the nuts off the spokes I was expecting to see some trace of spoke prep around the thread end of spoke and nut but I see absolutely nothing. Shouldn't I see some spoke prep?
It depends on what the spokes were prepped with. Properly tensioned spokes don't need any kind of locking compound, so the only prep they need is some type of lubricant (grease or oil).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
Mark McM said:
It depends on what the spokes were prepped with. Properly tensioned spokes don't need any kind of locking compound, so the only prep they need is some type of lubricant (grease or oil).
I tried my hardest to find 'linseed oil' in stores. I couldn't find it any where (not even in grocery stores).

I just ended up using Pedros Road Rage lube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bas said:
I tried my hardest to find 'linseed oil' in stores. I couldn't find it any where (not even in grocery stores).

I just ended up using Pedros Road Rage lube.
Art supply store should carry linseed oil as it is used by oil painters. If you don't have an art store nearby try Micheal's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bas said:
I tried my hardest to find 'linseed oil' in stores. I couldn't find it any where (not even in grocery stores).

I just ended up using Pedros Road Rage lube.
Try art supply store (Micheal's in Suburb) as linseed oil is used by oil painters.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top