Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is pretty dead - how about a shoutout?
Where are you commuting, how long is your commute, and what're you commuting on?

NYC (Brooklyn to Manhattan)
10mi round-trip (give or take my mood and which bridge I want to ride)
Bianchi San Remo (tourer with rack and either a trunk bag or msgr bag)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alright...

kokaku said:
Where are you commuting, how long is your commute, and what're you commuting on?

Commuting in Brew Town (Milwaukee)
12 mile round trip
Surly Karate Monkey singlespeed (36x18, always with my Timbuk2 bag carrying lunch & change o' clothes)

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
kokaku said:

Santa Rosa, across town, 8-10 mile round trip, see post below for what i ride.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Don't shout at me...:)

Commuting around the Trenton, NJ suburbs. 27 mile round trip about 4 times per week.

The commuter is a Surly Cross-Check pictured in other thread. I mish-mosh of parts with a 42x16 FG or occasional 18t SS.

I sometimes use my good bike and extend the ride on the way home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Commute

I commute 30 miles round trip on a Seven Tsunami (Ti cross bike) with a 1200' climb on the way home. All but 4 miles are on bike paths, bike lanes or when I have time, I take the single track for about 5 miles. I travel a lot for my job so my goal is to commute 100 days this year. I'm at about 30 so far so I'm off to a great start.

No cup of Starbucks or Krispy Kreme donut came come close to the euphoric feeling of commuting!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mackeral said:
I commute 30 miles round trip on a Seven Tsunami (Ti cross bike) with a 1200' climb on the way home. All but 4 miles are on bike paths, bike lanes or when I have time, I take the single track for about 5 miles. I travel a lot for my job so my goal is to commute 100 days this year. I'm at about 30 so far so I'm off to a great start.

No cup of Starbucks or Krispy Kreme donut came come close to the euphoric feeling of commuting!
Ain't that the truth. Where are you that has bike paths and a big climb like that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
kokaku said:
Ain't that the truth. Where are you that has bike paths and a big climb like that?
I live in Albuquerque near the Sandia moutains so I get a screamer ride downhill (40+ mph) to work and a great climb back home. I used to live in Chicago and commute along the lakefront to my office in the loop. (It used to get a little silly when I put chains on my commuter bike for the ice storms!)

Albuquerque is a commuter's dream as it has bike paths galore and weather that let you ride 360 days a year. Although I've never tried them, all our city buses have bike racks on the front for bike commuters who want to ride to and from the bus stops.

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
Waterfront

I am commuting from the top of Magnolia hill in Seattle to downtown, so I get a nice ride along the waterfront. I vary my routes and go out of my way sometimes to add hills, but it averages only 18 miles roundtrip. I'm riding an alum Specialized Allez with big fat Armadillo tires to absorb the bumps and avoid the flats.
I get to know the spots where puddles build up and I know how to avoid them - so I am rarely riding in a straight line when I go puddlejumping to work.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Chicago Commuter...

I'm commuting from Chicago (Lakeview/Ravenswood area) to Niles. The current trip is about 22 miles. I'm riding a Guru Veloci'ti and carrying everything in a yellow Patagonia messenger bag...

Steve-O (really gotta' get a beater for the winter slop)

·
Registered
353 Posts
16mi round trip / Montreal, Canada

kokaku said:

I commute within the suburbs of Montreal, Canada. Today was the inaugural ride to work & it was super! Fought a real solid head wind though & I hope it remains like that for the rest of the day so I can get a real good tail wind on the ride home this afternoon. For the next little while, I will be confined to raods/sidewalks until the snow melts from my little trail, only then can I toss in about 1 mile of trail into my commute either way.
I use my CX rig (Trek XO1) for everything now. A nice backpack with lunch & a change of clothes for work & we are set to go.

·
Rec Rider/Commuter
203 Posts
Portland, OR, 35 miles round trip...

I ride 2 or 3 times per week, Portland to Gresham, about 12 of my 17.5 miles are on an outstanding rails-to-trails MUT, complete with deer, bunnies, waterfowl, etc. I start my day with a screaming descent, and end it with a nice but brutal climb.

My winter ride is a steel SS Browning decked-out for funky weather, it weighs a ton.

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
Haven't started yet, but

The plan is to ride in 1-5 days a week once I get things into gear and once the weather clears. I'm about 25 miles north of Milwaukee and work in the northwest corner of Milwaukee making my commute about 22-25 miles each way. Route will be part bike trail, part city streets, part county/rural roads, and part medium-bad neighborhood that I may avoid if possible. Haven't decided what bike I'll ride yet but will probably start out on the old ProFlex MTB with smooth center tires on it, then will migrate to a lighter roadbike once the season progresses and parking issues ger resolved. Bike parking at work will be the major issue as there have been several vehical breakins out in the parking lot and I don't have approval yet to store the bike in my cubicle during the day. If parking or the route become too much of an issue then I'll just ride at other times this year.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I work in the country so my commute is 1 mile of town and then 30 mile round trip in the country.
I ride a Devinci podium in good weather and a Miyata 914 in poor weather. Don't like to get yuck on the devinci however i do get caught on occasion.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
kokaku said:

I commute about 8-9 miles roundtrip (depends on which roads I take) to Hartford, CT. This short commute only takes me about 15 minutes or less.
I commute on a Fuji Track fixed gear bike which presently has 25mm tires Conti 4-season tires and SKS race fenders. I now use a Chrome messenger bag (previously used the Patagonia Critical mass bag).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ride a round trip of 10 km (6 miles), year round, 5 days a week. I ride mostly residential streets, nice wide ones allowing lots of room for both bikes, busses & cars. The last km or so is across campus dodging masses of students. I can take an alternate route that takes me along the river valley for ~2.5 km that offers me the option of dropping down onto the singletrack trails. I don't have the nasty big hills some of the others have mentioned, but I've got a nasty big winter & winds to deal with.

My winter bike: Beater Giant Sedona ATX, studded tires
My good bike: '02 Cannondale Cyclocross

I'll post pics one of these days on the other thread.

Bryan in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Chicagoan

Steve-O said:
I'm commuting from Chicago (Lakeview/Ravenswood area) to Niles. The current trip is about 22 miles. I'm riding a Guru Veloci'ti and carrying everything in a yellow Patagonia messenger bag...
I am commuting in Chicago, too. I commute from Edgewater along the lakefront path down to Fullerton, then cut over and go through the Lincoln Park Zoo until I get to the bike lanes at Lincoln and Wells.

I'm not as hardcore as many of the folks on here with super fancy bikes, but I commute about 20 miles round trip on my 2003 Gary Fisher Zebrano. Everything is stock except the front wheel, which was stolen last year. :) It's a good commuting rig, though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
NJ to NYC

I've been bike commuting for years now in all conditions, but only a 1.2 mile RT to the bus stop on my $10, garage sale, full fendered 3 speed.

Today, for the 2nd time this year I'm doing the whole 50 mile RT by bike. For this task I use my Fuji Track 48/16 or 18 (fixed/fixed) My goal for this year is to bike commute 1/week (weather permitting).

- Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Handle gives it away...

kokaku said:

My commute is in the hottest, smoggiest part of SoCal (Redlands to San Bernardino). Not lookin' forward to summer. It's about 28 mi. r/t and there are no big hills so I've been doing it on my new fixie.

Today was one of those mornings where I nearly couldn't drag myself outta bed and almost talked myself into sleeping another half hour and just diriving in. Once I got on the bike and got rolling I was feeling great and so glad to be out riding on a nice cool morning (not too many of those left before the summer heat kicks in) instead of sleepily droning to work on the freeway. No better way to start the day...

I've had a rash of flats the last couple days though :(. Two on Tuesday (Front was flat when I went to leave in the morning. Changed it in the garage before I left. Flatted again on the front on the way home.) and another on the way home today, but it was a slow leak so I topped it off w/ a CO2 cartridge 'cause I didn't wanna deal with changing a rear flat on the side of the road. Made it until about a quarter of a mile from home before it was too soft to ride on anymore and pushed it the rest of the way...

What's a good, long-wearing commuter tire that's flat resistant? Those specialized flak-jacket ones any good?

I just replaced the rear tire (since I was changing a flat anyway) 'cause it had bare spots from skidding. Probably no tire is gonna stand up to much of that kind of abuse, but what's gonna wear the best?

-Trevor

·
Registered
348 Posts
TrevorInSoCal said:
...What's a good, long-wearing commuter tire that's flat resistant? Those specialized flak-jacket ones any good?

I just replaced the rear tire (since I was changing a flat anyway) 'cause it had bare spots from skidding. Probably no tire is gonna stand up to much of that kind of abuse, but what's gonna wear the best?

-Trevor
I know a few guys that swear by Specialized armadillos, but I have no personal experience w/them. They claim to have never flatted on them but say they dread the day because they were very tough to mount.

I put some closeout Conti City Grips on my crosser and they've worn like iron/w no flats yet (~500 mi) but prolly not the right look for the fixie.

I put Conti Gran prix on my fixie & you can call me cheap but nothing makes me want to skid less than putting a $45 tire on the bike. Before that it was a skid & hop-fest. One day I'll buy a case of $10 tires and just have at it.

- Chris

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.