Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with Seattle closing in on a rain record, it's just time for the fender thread. Show us your fenders. Ugly. Beautiful. Let's see them all. I'll start.

These babies have custom mudflaps made from finely crafted hand-tooled shower pan liner. The rear is a composite construction with stiffining ribs of thick zip-ties carefully laminated with duct tape. Please note the matching yellow zip-tie attachment on the front unit. Kinda brings a tear to the eye.

So, what ya got?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
No flaps just yet...

I keep ,meaning to make some flaps...but I always seem to run short on time. The fenders are Berthoud stainless steel, and the taillight is just where it needs to be.
 

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy M-S said:
I keep ,meaning to make some flaps...but I always seem to run short on time. The fenders are Berthoud stainless steel, and the taillight is just where it needs to be.
Nice bike. It is just asking for leather mudflaps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Leathah?

jplatzner said:
Nice bike. It is just asking for leather mudflaps.
I keep thinking about that...Berthouds, in all liklihood, as the Brooks models are ridiculously expensive. But I think that tread material (I have some on my bench right now) will probably end up being the stuff, at least for the first draft.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Gotta have fenders to commute in DC.

Some don't, more (cold, wet and dirty) fools they.

Even the BOB has fenders.

Mud flaps as needed from "Bike To Work Day" give away waterbottles and a few minutes with a blade and zip ties.
 

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey MB1,
Nice shots. I love the one in the leaves. Question about those Mavic Cpx-30 rims: I just got a used bike with those. What is their reputation? They seem bombproof but heavy. I'm not a weight weenie, but does that sum it up?
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
If it's bad enough for fenders, I also forgo the gears. Note that front fender is currently considerable shorter since a 1/2" stick tried to go around between the fender and tire. The front two supports are now side-by-side. No longer very effective - TF
 

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TurboTurtle said:
If it's bad enough for fenders, I also forgo the gears. Note that front fender is currently considerable shorter since a 1/2" stick tried to go around between the fender and tire. The front two supports are now side-by-side. No longer very effective - TF
Hey, I sort of have that bike...Fixed old Motobecane. (I wanted gears yesterday) But here's my old Volpe...it looks fixed in this bad photo, but it's a 7-speed Nexus hub. The problem with the Nexus is you need to use flat bars, and that's driving me nuts. I think bar-ends may be the answer. Both lacking mudflaps. I'm thinking of going with the water bottle mudflaps on these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Seattle isn't even close to record rain days yet...

I'm looking at the Seattle Times article, I know we did way more than 33 days back in '98 or '99. It's starting to make my dogs depressed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Finally got serious........

........and went from the "do in a pinch" cardboard prototype, to the "show me the water" Planets.
 

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
Joined
·
975 Posts
here yah go!

Here's some fender picts on my '70's era commuter. These are Planet Bike. I'm happy enough with them but I have had one incident of toe overlap on the front fender that sucked the lower half of the fender into the fork. I was wearing booties that extended my toes a little longer then normal thus they were the culprit. The fenders bent back no problem...

<center>
<img src=http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36920&stc=1>
<img src=http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36919&stc=1>
<img src=http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36918&stc=1>
</center>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
"fools"...?

MB1 said:
Some don't, more (cold, wet and dirty) fools they.

Even the BOB has fenders.

Mud flaps as needed from "Bike To Work Day" give away waterbottles and a few minutes with a blade and zip ties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Here's mine.

Here's my mudflap. I just put it on Friday. It's a homemade one from a piece of stairtread that I got from Home Depot for $2.99. I cut up a file folder first to get the shape right,traced it out and then cut out the correct shape with scissors. I learned about it from here:http://phred.org/~alex/bikes/fendermudflap.html
The next 3 shots are of the coolest accessory for mounting fenders. It's a brake nut that is threaded! It replaces the recessed allen nut for holding the brakes in the fork and seatstays. The picture is a short one next to the original from the fork. Worth every penny at $4.50 and they come in two lengths,short and long. I got mine from Peter White:http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/berthoudinst.asp Scroll down to the installing carbon fenders section and you will see them. He does have a $20 minuium for phone orders so pick out some other stuff before you call.
The last 3 pictures are of my Cage Rocket. It holds a tire lever, a spare tube, set of allen keys, adjustable wrench, and cell phone. I don't usually need my second cage for H20 for the commute so I got one of these. It's really nice and it's soooo easy to switch from bike to bike compared to a seat pack. Great item for rain and snow for about 9 bucks. http://www.cagerocket.com/
Hope this helps someone out there who has never seen these before.
MN Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,452 Posts
Here's a pic of my abused SKS fenders. The stays have been bent, shaped, rebent, and reshaped etc. The latest reshaping came when I installed Avid BB5 calipers.
The flap is a piece of 1gal. milk jug attached with what else, a fender washer.
I needed the help of some hardware store steel stock to use as an extension bracket because there's so much room between the tire and the fork crown. The fork is a Nashbar steel that's suspension adjusted. The fenders look their too close to the tire, but it's Jan 15, and I've had no problems commuting six days a week here in Maine since winter began.
The rear fender stay had to be bent to make room for the rear caliper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
solution

Hey Jplatzner-
I have a SRAM 7-speed internal hub on my touring/commuter bike. The shifter is 22.2 mm, flat bar diameter; I wanted to use an old 3speed handlebar, which is 22.2, but hated the grips and the bulkiness of the shifter. I found an old MTB bar-end which was 22.2, cut off the curved part, slid it onto the bar and mounted the shiter on that, so now the grips are free of the grip shift but it sits next to my right grip. This of course works with a 22.2 bar. But your old volpe probably has a 1" threaded fork steerer tube, and the quill stem is actually 22.2 in diameter. If you aren't into aesthetics, you could mount a bar-end sideways off the quill, put your shifter on that, and have drop bars!
 

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
brianvonlehe said:
Hey Jplatzner-
I have a SRAM 7-speed internal hub on my touring/commuter bike. The shifter is 22.2 mm, flat bar diameter; I wanted to use an old 3speed handlebar, which is 22.2, but hated the grips and the bulkiness of the shifter. I found an old MTB bar-end which was 22.2, cut off the curved part, slid it onto the bar and mounted the shiter on that, so now the grips are free of the grip shift but it sits next to my right grip. This of course works with a 22.2 bar. But your old volpe probably has a 1" threaded fork steerer tube, and the quill stem is actually 22.2 in diameter. If you aren't into aesthetics, you could mount a bar-end sideways off the quill, put your shifter on that, and have drop bars!
Yeah, I think I'm stuck for now because the shifter I have is "integrated" with the brake levers. They may make another shifter that is not tied to the levers. I have a different shaped Nitto bar that is more like a traditional 3-speed bar that I am going to try. I'll give that a shot and then perhaps give the bar-end thing a go. I just need another position for my hands. I wouldn't be against something like you suggest; I notice Sheldon Brown does a similar thing. They are even selling a pretty cool looking Bianchi single speed based on a Volpe frame that he set up with an 8-speed. Kinda cool.

BTW, Thanks for all the pictures guys! I love the mudflaps made from stair tread. Have a great day.
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top