Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
What the Hell is going on
5,188 Posts
Work in Progress

Here's my Bottecchia. It's a work in progress. Trying to deck her out in all vintage Campy C Record (or just plain ole Record will do). So far I have the rear derailleur and 36h C Record hubs.

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
JaeP said:
Here's my Bottecchia. It's a work in progress. Trying to deck her out in all vintage Campy C Record (or just plain ole Record will do). So far I have the rear derailleur and 36h C Record hubs.
That color scheme Bottecchia is my all time favorite frame.

·
Back in the water...
20 Posts
'66 Legnano Super Sport before SS conversion...and yes...I know the seatpost is backwards :)

And then after the SS conversion - I saved all the original parts and it's not quite done...soon....very soon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Look at mine

Man get a look at that Bottecchia, wow that's a great looking frame. Please post pics of complete bike.

Okay i just posted these in another thread, except for the Masi which isn't even my size but it is indeed Italian, although built in good ol San Marcos Ca. I am in the process of making her a complete bike.

You guys can shoot me for having shimano full up round on all my bikes, I tried
veloce and mirage and was dissapointed, but please don't start a war here cause I
don't feel like justifying shimano to anyone tonight. Let's just say that's how I like em.

Jaime

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
They do, not seen very often and loaded with interesting design elements. I lusted after a Dardo from the first time I saw one and was really happy when Excel Sports bought their Interbike stock a couple of years ago and sold them as close-outs. I paid a small amount for that frame, yet it's one of my absolute favorites. The pinnacle of Italian style.

Does the Lazer have the same whacky seat-clamp? I'll admit, that thing scares me.

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
terry b said:
They do, not seen very often and loaded with interesting design elements. I lusted after a Dardo from the first time I saw one and was really happy when Excel Sports bought their Interbike stock a couple of years ago and sold them as close-outs. I paid a small amount for that frame, yet it's one of my absolute favorites. The pinnacle of Italian style.

Does the Lazer have the same whacky seat-clamp? I'll admit, that thing scares me.
You mean this seat-clamp? I like it, but I do wonder about it long term.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
bwana said:
You mean this seat-clamp? I like it, but I do wonder about it long term.
That's the one.

Every time I make a seat height adjustment, I cringe. Luckly, the Selcof post I have on mine is pretty snug, and I don't have to crank down too much. But, I'm still dreading the day when I over tighten that bolt by 1/4 turn and pull the threads out of the internal nut. I've already begun thinking about turning that seat tube extension into a traditional clamp.

Or maybe if the worst happens, it becomes a nice piece of wall art.

·
Registered
438 Posts
nice!

I am going to Italy this summer for an extended stay. My wife forbids me to bring a bike with me (travelling with kids), and suggested I ship a bike... well it turns out it's pretty expensive to air ship a bike, and it's too late for surface.

So, she says, maybe just buy one there and leave it in the garage?

um... OK!

So has anyone done this before? I will not be able to drop a ton of money for a bike I will not use that often, but would like something very Italian.

Any suggestions on what to look for in the bike shop there? There are some little used bike shops in town, lots of 'Legnano' bikes.

I ride a Surly here on the road. But a Merlin offroad.

Any suggestions or tips appreciated.

1 - 20 of 346 Posts