Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decent cross wheelset.
Went for a trail ride and tweeked the rear wheel.
While trueing the wheel the nipple shattered. It is holding in the head but there is nothing for me tor grab onto. The spoke is above the slot of the nipple so i cannot use a screwdriver.

Any ideas other than cutting the spoke.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Nope

pigpen said:
Decent cross wheelset.
Went for a trail ride and tweeked the rear wheel.
While trueing the wheel the nipple shattered. It is holding in the head but there is nothing for me tor grab onto. The spoke is above the slot of the nipple so i cannot use a screwdriver.

Any ideas other than cutting the spoke.
No other ideas. And let me say in response to your title, "ouch."

And BTW, if the spoke is above the slot it was too long, and that may be the reason for the nipple exploding when you tried to tighten it down onto the unthreaded portion of the spoke.

Anyway, I think you'll have to cut it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You could try filing a notch in an old / cheap screwdriver. That would allow you to remove the nipple without cutting the spoke but would mess up a screwdriver. Your choice.

When I wanted to make my own nipple driver I picked up a screwdriver at Target for $0.96 might be cheaper then buying a new spoke.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Over time aluminum nipples corrode and become frozen to the spoke. If you have problem with one nipple the others are sure to follow. It is most like time to rebuild your wheel. If you have been using these wheel for CX then you should check the rim wall for wear. If the wear is minimal then you should be able to get away with just replacing the nipples......if you can get them off.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
raymonda said:
Over time aluminum nipples corrode and become frozen to the spoke.
Anti-seize works wonders.

I finally put a bend in my front wheel after 10 years of use and had no problems getting the alloy nipples off.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Of course riding conditions and care are important variables. Mountain bikes and CX can see alot of water, mud, etc..... Over time aluminum can corrode.

Over time males tend to go bald but that doesn't mean all males go bald.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
You can't grab the part on the inside of the rim and twist it? Cut it? Dremel it? Shouldn't be that hard.
A Dremel cost a little more than a spoke and nipple.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
pigpen said:
A Dremel cost a little more than a spoke and nipple.
Well, yeah, but then you have a Dremel, which is handy for a lot of things. It's not a single-use item.

You gotta buy a nipple in any event. What's a spoke cost at the LBS? A buck, maybe? Personally, if I couldn't grab it with a tool I had around (vise-grip? needle-nose pliers?), I'd have cut it by now.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Have you had one fly on you? I've shredded a couple of nipples and was always scared the spoke would fly but I usually just get a sudden noise as it detensions instantly.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Where oh where are those goggles? :)
and where is the spoke going to go, when one end is hooked to the hub and the other stuck in the nipple? they just go "ping"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts