Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All year long I've been training for the Mountains of Misery Double Metric century, 127 miles with 13K+ of climbing. The ride is this Sunday 5/28.

My training progressed pretty much according to plan and I've built up the miles to a long ride of 95 miles solo with probably 9K + of climbing. I finished this ride feeling pretty strong, so I had backed off the miles in the last week or so to taper, feeling pretty confident that I was as ready for this challenge as I could get, given family and work commitments.

Now I've come down with a nasty chest cold (cough, tired and an overall out of sorts feeling). I've been fighting it the last few days with cold-eeze, vitamin C and as much rest as my life allows, but this cold is hanging on. I'm also following the standard advice of not riding if the cold is below the neck (haven't ridden since Saturday). I'm concerned that even if I can shake the coughing and other symptons, I'm still not going to feel strong on Sunday due to the lingering effects of the cold and from not riding any. Does anyone have any other advice on shaking the cold, at what point its ok to ride and how much to ride before Sunday's big event?

· Registered
484 Posts
Sounds like you are doing all the right things to get rid of the cold. Make sure that you're getting plenty of fluids too. Don't worry about losing fitness. I'd focus on getting better, then go for a short easy ride on Friday or Saturday just to get the legs spinning and loosen up.

· Registered
133 Posts
I have heard of friends beating colds through a single day of intensive ibuprofen (or other headache reducer) tons of orange juice and vitamins. But I dont know quite how that works, only that it reputedy does, my friend used roughly that method to beat a cold in a day, that took me 3 or 4 to beat, and I am not very susceptible to colds, and generally have a strong system for fighting them. Don't think this advice wil help, but one never knows.
Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.