Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have nothing constructive to add.... I asked my daughter what advice she might have though, she mentioned something about Rule 5.
HTFU?

I get it. Set this as early season goal so I would not get out of shape this winter. Worked ok, and no way I back down. Just don't want to be the last one on the team to make it back, or at least stay in the same zip code with these guys.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I've been in that type of situation (as I'm sure many others have been too). I would do all I could to get ready and then see how I feel closer to the time of the ride.

But really, I can't recall one time when I felt myself getting a cold a couple days before and then either felt good enough to go or felt that I should not have gone if I did. So from my past history, I have no good news. If it were me I would probably skip a crazy hard ride and then assuming I felt OK enough, go out on a solo ride and take it easy.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I ride anyway unless I have a fever. Helps the recovery.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I ride anyway unless I have a fever. Helps the recovery.
But what type of effort would you put out? An easy calm ride, sure. Even with some harder efforts here and there, OK. But the OP said he has a big ride, so I assume he means it'll be a balls to the wall type hammer fest. Would you go out on that type of ride if you had a cold?

Besides, if someone who may disease me showed up on a ride it may upset me. I wouldn't want him breathing hard, sweating, and shooting snot rockets near me.

I'd really have to be very close to fully recovered to go on something like that.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
But what type of effort would you put out? An easy calm ride, sure. Even with some harder efforts here and there, OK. But the OP said he has a big ride, so I assume he means it'll be a balls to the wall type hammer fest. Would you go out on that type of ride if you had a cold?

Besides, if someone who may disease me showed up on a ride it may upset me. I wouldn't want him breathing hard, sweating, and shooting snot rockets near me.

I'd really have to be very close to fully recovered to go on something like that.
+1. Not to mention your body needs energy to fight off the virus. Big effort rides probably only slow recovery ime. Still hard to resist those week end rides after working all week, shuttling kids, fixing the damn pool pump again, etc...

Matter of fact a little head cold just hit me yesterday. Saturday was to be a great ride with friends I rarely get to see. Hopefully I can be ahead of the curve and recover in 2 days v. the normal 7. Lol!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Depends on the length of the ride. You can probably manage to go hard for an hour or two. You might not be on the top of your game, but, you should be able to utilize Rule 5 and hang for that long. If, however, this is a century ride, I would adjust my goals and ride mostly for endurance and not go great guns. Nothing like hanging with everyone for 2 hours and then taking another 4 hours to limp in alone with nothing .... miserable .... wondering why you decided to ride with this *&#$ cold anyway ....

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depends on the length of the ride. You can probably manage to go hard for an hour or two. You might not be on the top of your game, but, you should be able to utilize Rule 5 and hang for that long. If, however, this is a century ride, I would adjust my goals and ride mostly for endurance and not go great guns. Nothing like hanging with everyone for 2 hours and then taking another 4 hours to limp in alone with nothing .... miserable .... wondering why you decided to ride with this *&#$ cold anyway ....
Thanks. Not a century but a tough 79 miles. Think I am doing it but just will be a little more cautious. Worked too hard for this over the winter to skip it.

·
Registered
21,732 Posts
Thanks. Not a century but a tough 79 miles. Think I am doing it but just will be a little more cautious. Worked too hard for this over the winter to skip it.
Standard advice is that if it's above the neck then it's OK to work out but if it's in your lungs or you have an all-over ache then rest and fluids. And even with a head cold if you go hard and burn yourself out you most often will cause the cold to worsen significantly. I've continued riding though lots of colds but that is NOT the time for hard efforts.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Standard advice is that if it's above the neck then it's OK to work out but if it's in your lungs or you have an all-over ache then rest and fluids. And even with a head cold if you go hard and burn yourself out you most often will cause the cold to worsen significantly. I've continued riding though lots of colds but that is NOT the time for hard efforts.
Listen to the man. If yours is the latter kind of cold, you can do significant, and worst case even permanent damage to yourself. Even if it's just a head cold, I doubt it'll be worth it. It's just a ride. My 2 cents.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm. I was really hoping for a lot more htfu style advice. ;)

Its certainly not ideal but I don't give up easy. I have medicated pretty well so hopefully feeling a little better tomorrow am.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
It's the classics. HTFU and get on the start line tomorrow. There will be plenty of people who bit off more than they can chew and will be behind you.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Zinc - that's what I use the first hint of a cold - it helps me out to lessen the severity and speed the recovery from a cold. They are lozenges that you take maybe 4 times a day. If you wait till the cold is full blown it's too late, they don't do much. Taken when you first get the hint of a cold, very very helpful.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
When I was younger I tried training through many colds with very predictable results. I got worse just about every time. Unless the effort is recovery or low endurance, I would not recommend it. And to me it sounds like you are about to do a hammerfest.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.