Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hate being friggin sick.....sucks. My nose is a faucet right now, and my head feels like it 3x it's normal size...Today SUCKED. I was in surgery all day, and we wear the spacesuits similar to below-only we wear masks underneath the helmets as well, and my nose ran underneath the whole time. The mucous was running down over my mouth and chin and down my neck....GROSS....of course could not do a DA*N thing about it either. Just loaded up on Nyquil, time to go to sleep in a few minutes. FULL clinic day tomorrow....Only day that was worse than today, was the day a few years ago when I threw up 3 times before surgery and had a 102 degree temp, then I had a mask on all day and had to smell that smell.......SUCKED....

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Physician Assistant

Friction_Shifter said:
what kind of doc/surgeon are you? I hope you feel better. I just try to drink a lot of water/OJ when I'm sick.

I'm a PA, work in Orthopedics...

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
so do you help put carbon fiber and titanium in people? they are using CF, correct?

I haven't seen CF used, we use a lot of titanium, cobalt chromium, stainless steel, and tantalum, they may be using CF in other parts of the body, but as far as the knee and hip, we do not. I also run a sports med clinic too, and moonlight in an ER, as well as lecturing, teaching, and doing research. Gotta present at the upcoming Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Physician (Assistant) heal thy self!

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
my mom and a lot of her friends have had knee replacement. it seems like if you're 60 or older, female and weight more than ?165-170? chances are you will need a knee replaced. do you agree with this?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
my mom and a lot of her friends have had knee replacement. it seems like if you're 60 or older, female and weight more than ?165-170? chances are you will need a knee replaced. do you agree with this?
I have a feeling my left knee will be needing some work before too long. wtf? I've been good.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KenB said:
You are demented. The mask is a really nice touch.

Well, I am feeling slightly better than yesterday...which is still sh*tty...:(

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Friction_Shifter said:

Not necessarily, there are A LOT of men who have joint replacements too....Obesity definitely has an impact on the development of OA-Osteoarthritis, which is the most common indication for joint replacement, but it is not the only factor, there are also familial trends which can impact it as well. Bottom line is, if we live long enough, we will ALL develop degenerative or osteo-arthritis, It is simply a matter of asking joints that were designed for a lifespan of 30 years....to last 3x that long....they will wear out.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Upside to illness

My wife and I have been sick for ten days. Me...a baaaad cold, she...the flu. After 8 days, I'm feeling better but exhausted. She is still sick. Her flu has moved into a secondary infection of her parotid glands. Her face looks like a chipmunk eating nuts. Unlike you, she canceled all of her patients for last Thurs/Fri/Sat/tomorrow and Friday. Taking a hit on the income from it.

On the upside....since my appetite has been at a zero for 7 days or so, I've lost about 7lbs. I was trying to lose weight, but this is too fast (and too temporary). I've been freezing cold for the last two days due to the weight loss. I started the year at 201 lbs with a goal of hitting 185lb by the end of May. I'm going to Colorado the end of June. As of this AM, I was at 188lbs. Regrettfully, I doubt I'l be able to maintain the weight loss.

The other upside is that I've been able to crawl into bed every night before 9pm. Even sleeping from 9pm to 7am hasn't help the exhaustion part. The negative side to this is that I bought a new wheelset last week which I haven't been able to use yet and I can't imagine using until Sunday at the absolute earliest. Nothing special, but still a new toy which I can' t use. Sickness sucks.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
You don't think the gang in the OR would mind if you blew a few snot rockets? LOL

Just pull down the mask and aim for a corner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts