Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do computer work for a friend of mine, simple stuff for me - totally confusing for him. Anyway, he's a massage therapist and usually pays me in massages. This time he wants to actually pay me.

I have no idea what to charge, I set up his office with a wireless router and will be setting up others that work there so they can access the internet with their laptops.

Suggestions?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
snapdragen said:
I do computer work for a friend of mine, simple stuff for me - totally confusing for him. Anyway, he's a massage therapist and usually pays me in massages. This time he wants to actually pay me.

I have no idea what to charge, I set up his office with a wireless router and will be setting up others that work there so they can access the internet with their laptops.

Suggestions?
The sky's kind of the limit, but you want to be reasonable.

You have three choices that make sense to me:

1. Figure out how much you make an hour at work and charge that. Warning: if you're on a salary and work long hours, you may find your hourly wage pretty insulting.

2. Find out what a professional tech in your area would charge ($30-50/hour?) and mark it down a little.

3. Settle on a set fee that seems to you to be worth it.

I applaud your friend wanting to pay you, especially for something that's a little open-ended. Making it just business puts a buffer between and potential unprofessional behavior and your friendship. DAMHIKT.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Let him cook or buy dinner, depending on how much your work is worth and his ability to cook. If that doesn't fly, grossly overcharge the bastid for being antisocial and all that. ;)

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Numbers I use...

If you DO NOT do this exact task for a living but still have good competence:

Friend price should be less than or about half of what a pro would charge. Coupla reasons for this:

1) It'll take you a fair bit longer than a pro.

2) You don't have the total accountability of a pro. You're friend would likely not demand the same level of recompense if you were to f*ck it up.

3) You might not get the same discounts as a pro for materials needed.

If you DO this exact task for a living, but are not a private contractor - split the difference between what your employer bills for you and what you're paid. I find this number to be a good balance because of the friend and total accountability issues.

Alex

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
snapdragen said:

Suggestions?
sounds like an uncomfortable situation. tell him i'll take the massage and you'll do the work.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
I wouldn't know what to charge a friend for services rendered. But an idea would be to calculate your total cost (number of hours x going rate) and charge him half of that. That seems fair enough.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
How much does he charge per hour for massages? Instead of the massages you can now take the equivalent in cash. Unless of course he's either way below or much more than what you were thinking of charging.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
snapdragen said:

Suggestions?
Hey Snap,

Sounds like a layup to me. How many other users are you setting up? Are you doing anything other than entering the password for the router? One challenge might be with older laptops. As long as the router covers all protocols 802.11a/b/g then there shouldn't be a problem.

A nice bottle o vodka, a bottle o wine, or a case o beer...would make me pretty happy.

Good luck!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Charge him what he charge /hr for a massage, maybe a bit less.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Kram59 said:
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Charge him what he charge /hr for a massage, maybe a bit less.
i dunno mark, that sounds tough and underpaid and underappreciated. and tough, too.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Ima tough sob. Really, though, it's hard to charge a friend for "services rendered."

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Kram59 said:
Ima tough sob. Really, though, it's hard to charge a friend for "services rendered."
yeah, tough. and tough, too.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought about this, and I'm going to ask for a massage instead of payment. He does the real deep tissue bodywork - and I'm feeling the need. (Charges $70/hour for massage)
For this work, I think I prefer the barter method.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts