Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put thousands of miles on my old mountain bike, and just bought my first road bike, a Windsor Knight, this summer. I've got about 750 miles on the Michelin Dynamic 700x23s that came with my new bike, and I noticed this while fixing a flat this morning:

This is the rear tire. Notice the crack right along the base of the letters. I've photographed the worst part of it, but it's a good eight inches long or so. I suspect the crack might have formed after the tire lost pressure and before I noticed and stopped the bike. (It was not a blowout.)

I don't notice any bulging here. Is this cause for concern?

·
Registered
96 Posts
personally, I`ve seen my own tires get a little worst but due to dry rott.. check inside the casing if there`s any wear sign.. if there is replace it.. if not.. but say it still bugs you.. then peace of mind is worth something too right?

now it doesn`t mean a flat warrants a new tire each time but I`m sure a good visual check is in order each time though

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Marty01 said:
check inside the casing if there`s any wear sign..
Good advice, and chances are good that you won't find anything inside the casing. To me, the "crack" looks more like a harmless manufacturing discontinuity that's been there from day one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I rode a metric century on that tire this morning, and toward the end I thought "I don't remember this road being bumpy"... then when I stopped at an intersection, I saw it was my tire that was bumpy--there was a bulge.

That answers that. I replaced the tire. Good thing I was only a mile from home when I discovered the problem; I took it slow and had no trouble getting the rest of the way home.

Incidentally, the bulge was nowhere near the crack that initially concerned me.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Many tires crack like that (or worse)...and almost always it is just the surface "skin" cracking. Not a cause for alarm unless you can see threads. At least that has been MY experience over the years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts