Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have sidewalls failing?

I tried a google - but only saw issues about Michelin car tires with sidewall issues.

These are the red colored tires.. I'm getting a lot of red rubbing off on my rims... (krysium sl)... These tires might have been ordered several years ago and have been sitting in my place ready to go.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I had orange PR3's where it seemed like the orange was not cured and bits came off the bead and stuck to the rim. Nothing to worry about :rolleyes:

I'll see if I can get a picture.

Here you go. Several years old now, they feel to have dried out. Used to feel sticky.

Carmine Orange Close-up Material property Synthetic rubber

Joking aside, I never had a functional problem with the tires, just a sticky mess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pro Race 3's are 'old' tires,currently the Pro race 4 (very soon to re replaced) is whats available. Even if you buy a 'new' Pro Race 3, it was made several years ago, tires do age & dry out (as do car tires).

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Doesn't sound like sidewall failure to me. IME, not unusual for little bits of stuff to come off the tire bead. I wouldn't expect problems from tires stored for a few years in normal conditions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This also happened to me. I bought the PRO3's for $30 each on closeout. Had them in the back room for about a year. I went to mount them after my GP 4000's needed replacing and I noticed the sidewalls falling apart. Mine were worse, I could see right through the sidewalls. I have had Conti's and Vittoria's in a hot garage for 10-14 months, and I have never seen this before The PRO3's were in a back room with AC at work."WHEN IN DOUBT THROW THEM OUT"

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

The rear tire blew a bubble 2 days ago, so I replaced it. The red paint was wearing off and showing the threads.

I took a sponge with a scrubbing side, and scrubbed down my rim to remove some of the red muck left, and had to take a raiser blade to clean out the inside of the rim.

This is also my 3rd Michelin P.R. rear tire that has gone to death by bubble. (Previous one had a double bubble).

So 2 new tires on, 1 in waiting... I'll put off next purchase of tires until next year sales.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just noticed mine has some red showing on a all black tire. Looks like a sticky substance coming from the threads. I started rubbing on it it and sure enough, the sidewall is dissappearing

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8-1-2016

Pumped up rear/front tire from 80psi to 110psi or so on the guage...

Rear tire developed bubble about 2/3 in on my ride. Looked pretty nasty. (was 1-1.5 month old tire (maybe 500-700 miles) purchased 12-2014)...

Let some air out on the ride... not sure how much, but a few touches on the presta valve. Felt smoother, but then started to feel bumpier.

Figured I would deal with it today (8/2)....

Well, about 3 hours after the ride, "POW!" I thought some electrical equipment blew up...but nothing was not working... And my rear tire is flat, side wall blew out sitting there on it's own. That's a first for me after 13 years of riding.

I've ridden bubbled tires longer than 1 day... so this is a first, especially with self destruct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts