Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of Sidi 5.5's back in late 2006 or early 2007. They were great at first, but now the two velcro closures do not hold as tight as they did when I first bought them. I cannot get the shoes as tight as I was able to when I first bought them and I find myself continually re-adjusting the velcro straps while riding.

So, I am looking at the Sidi Ergo 2 Vernice shoes that have a different type of closure in the middle of the shoe. I love the buckle closure on the top of my current shoes, but the velcro sucks. Just wondering if the Techno II system is better than the velcro that I have been using for that middle strap. I can live with velcro on the very tip of the shoe.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Not only is the Techno2 system rock solid on the Ergo, it is also replaceable if it does break. The shoes are pricey, but worth it. Totalcycling and Probikekit do a decent job discounting them.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
the bottom strap (the only velcro one) of the Ergo2 also has a "toothed" vinyl/plastic insert that helps it stay secure; in theory it won't loosen.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hey fabsro! Here is what I can tell you from my experience...

I have 2007 Genius 6.6's and they have the "teeth" in the Velcro. They have been my main/daily shoes pretty much for three years. (I have some Diadoras that don't fit me well at all that I'll use in rain or winter weather). I love them, they fit well an they stay snug. I use mine with a Super Feet yellow insole and that was a big upgrade over the stock sole. No more sore or numb feet.

A few months back, like March or April I got the 2010 Ergo 2s. First of all, I am in a size 43 in the Geniuses. I ended up needing a 42 in the Ergo 2s. A full size? I know clothes keep getting bigger for fatty Americans, but Italian shoes at well?! Annoying since I had to ship them back to the UK at like $30.

I still haven't gotten the cleats, insoles, socks, etc. sorted on the Ergo 2s. I'm about ready to throw them in a lake. I've moved the cleats many times, tried the stock insoles, my Super Feet insoles, looser straps, tighter straps, thick socks, mid socks, thin socks. Still getting numb feet.

If I had it to do all over again I'd snub the looks of the Ergo 2s and get another pair of Geniuses. I will say I had numbness problems for awhile with the Geniuses so I am hoping it will go away as the Ergo's get broken in. I will also say that the Ergo 2s just don't seem to be built as well or solidly as the Geniuses. I have them in the silver/steel color and the main body of the shoe just seems flimsy.

Now, to make a long story short...I DO LIKE the strap system on the Ergo 2s. It is nice. The middle wheel is a bit tough to adjust on the bike, but once you know where you like the dial, you can set it and leave it alone. But, the straps on my Genius 6.6s have never given me trouble.

The Ergo 2s look great...but I just can't seem to get them to feel great. Plus, I'm still a bit annoyed that Sidi, a classy, pricey company is seemingly allowing sizes to vary by a full size. The 43 Ergo's were HUGE on me.

Hope that helps, if you waded through all of it;) Good luck!

Are you my size? If we get to catch up sometime soon you are welcome to give mine a try, either model.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'vegot got the 2010 ergo 2 lite's in white. Overall, great shoes. the main differences, other than the obvious velcro strap vs dial adjustment are: the vernice upper is a stiffer material than your genius's (feel more supportive when thrashing about in an all-out effort and easier to clean), carbon lite sole is stiffer and lighter, the custom heal device really works well. the cut of the shoe is supposedly alittle narrower than the genius. the only negative, as previously mentioned, is the insole. rubbish. I called sidi to ask for recommendations, they said to try specialized insoles, and that they have had discussions internally about upgrading sidi insoles in the future.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Velcro = new shoes?

If budget is not an issue, best of luck with the Ergos! I've owned Geniuses and Dominators, but never Ergos, so can't speak to them.

But, the velcro straps on Sidis are just stitched on, you can replace them, if you like.

When I trashed a pair of Geniuses in a crash, I took off all of the straps, including the ratchet buckle, the heel pad, etc. I used the "toothed" strap from this destroyed Genius 5 to "upgrade" a Dominator 4.

·
Banned
605 Posts
I'll throw in my $.02

My experience with the Ergo 2 is directly opposite then nayr497's. I have had on my feet this year the genius 6.6's, last year before the lite version, this year's genius 5 pros and this year's Ergo 2.

The 6.6 were a 43.5, the 5 pro and the Ergo 2 are 44. The Ergo is just slightly shorter then the 5 pro and narrower, almost like a 43.75 - 43.85. I am also using a Sole thin sport insole and would consider them almost mandatory. I had suffered most of the season with hotspots and numbness an till I got the Ergos with the Soles. It is an unbelievably good combination.

The techno buckle is ok, I really don't mess with my shoes too much when I am riding but velcro is easier for on bike loosening, tightening the techno's fine.

They are a great, great shoe and I will be getting another pair at some point in the next year from PBK which is a great, great store

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't like my ergo 2's much

I have the same problem as nayr497...numb feet whether tight, loose or in between. I also get pain after 70-80 miles in my toes with these shoes. I would not recommend these shoes at all. They cost a lot with no financially justifiable advantage over less expensive brands/models. My left shoe also came with a bad thread on the sole cleat screw hole and the screw can be tightened but cannot be loosened (spin endlessly) and that left shoe creaks something fierce.

They look good but why that shiny non breathable material ?.......So I can wear them with a tuxedo...?

In summary, I would look elsewhere. I think (I am no expert) the numbness comes from the top strap location over the top arch of your foot...I think it interferes with blood supply. also think that my feet have a tendency to swell a little in those shoes because of the top strap. The CF soles probably have something to do with it (very stiff and heat generating).

I used Specialized shoes prior and those were really comfy.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
fabsroman said:
........So, I am looking at the Sidi Ergo 2 Vernice shoes.....................
You do understand what "Vernice" means, right?

A buddy of mine didn't, so when his white Vernice Sidi's arrived, he was quite shocked.

He even called me to ask if I'd seen anyone else wearing "Vernice" shoes.

I had no idea what that meant either until my wife explained.

Maybe you had to be there but it was a funny conversation.

Back to the original issue, I've had Ergo 2 for 3-4 years and love them. The only issue I've had is the pin coming out of the top twist ring and the ring getting lost. I was able to makeshift a solution with a safety pin until the replacement parts (warranty) arrived.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nayr497 said:
Hey fabsro! Here is what I can tell you from my experience...

I have 2007 Genius 6.6's and they have the "teeth" in the Velcro. They have been my main/daily shoes pretty much for three years. (I have some Diadoras that don't fit me well at all that I'll use in rain or winter weather). I love them, they fit well an they stay snug. I use mine with a Super Feet yellow insole and that was a big upgrade over the stock sole. No more sore or numb feet.

A few months back, like March or April I got the 2010 Ergo 2s. First of all, I am in a size 43 in the Geniuses. I ended up needing a 42 in the Ergo 2s. A full size? I know clothes keep getting bigger for fatty Americans, but Italian shoes at well?! Annoying since I had to ship them back to the UK at like $30.

I still haven't gotten the cleats, insoles, socks, etc. sorted on the Ergo 2s. I'm about ready to throw them in a lake. I've moved the cleats many times, tried the stock insoles, my Super Feet insoles, looser straps, tighter straps, thick socks, mid socks, thin socks. Still getting numb feet.

If I had it to do all over again I'd snub the looks of the Ergo 2s and get another pair of Geniuses. I will say I had numbness problems for awhile with the Geniuses so I am hoping it will go away as the Ergo's get broken in. I will also say that the Ergo 2s just don't seem to be built as well or solidly as the Geniuses. I have them in the silver/steel color and the main body of the shoe just seems flimsy.

Now, to make a long story short...I DO LIKE the strap system on the Ergo 2s. It is nice. The middle wheel is a bit tough to adjust on the bike, but once you know where you like the dial, you can set it and leave it alone. But, the straps on my Genius 6.6s have never given me trouble.

The Ergo 2s look great...but I just can't seem to get them to feel great. Plus, I'm still a bit annoyed that Sidi, a classy, pricey company is seemingly allowing sizes to vary by a full size. The 43 Ergo's were HUGE on me.

Hope that helps, if you waded through all of it;) Good luck!

Are you my size? If we get to catch up sometime soon you are welcome to give mine a try, either model.
I read every word of that review. My 5.5's have the teeth in them that are supposed to prevent them from loosening, but they just do not seem to be working because the shoes seem to get lose during a ride. I find myself adjusting them a couple times a ride on a 2 hour ride. I was also hoping that the heel adjustment would make the shoes fit better.

Like you, I had numb feet with the 5.5's for a couple of months when I first bought them, but they fit great now. If it wasn' for the velcro strap issue, I would continue to use them.

I wear a 42 in the 5.5's. Luckily, Perfomance carries them right down the road from me, but they want $400+ for them, maybe even $499. I can go down there and try the 42's on and see how they fit before ordering them from ProBikeKit.

I'm still on the fence about this. Spending $300 on shoes is a good amount of money if they aren't going to work out. I am going to read the rest of the commets, see if anybody makes anymore comments, and then make a decision over the winter so I can break them in on the trainer versus on a road in the middle of nowhere.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
the Ergo 2 full Carbon sole ( not the latest Lite one ) is being sold locally ( Switzerland ) for some $200, many 42 on sale.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Argentius said:
If budget is not an issue, best of luck with the Ergos! I've owned Geniuses and Dominators, but never Ergos, so can't speak to them.

But, the velcro straps on Sidis are just stitched on, you can replace them, if you like.

When I trashed a pair of Geniuses in a crash, I took off all of the straps, including the ratchet buckle, the heel pad, etc. I used the "toothed" strap from this destroyed Genius 5 to "upgrade" a Dominator 4.
Do they sell replacement straps for them? I'm about as good with sewing as you are with home improvements. LOL Seriously though, how do I go about replacing the velcro straps? I would prefer to do that in lieu of spending $300 on new shoes. These shoes are in pretty good shape but for the "stickyness" of the velcro. The soles and leather are hardly even scuffed and I can spend 3+ hours in them without any discomfort in my feet. Now, 3+ hours of pedaling would probably cause plenty of discomfort in my legs at this point of my fitness. LOL

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Salsa_Lover said:
the Ergo 2 full Carbon sole ( not the latest Lite one ) is being sold locally ( Switzerland ) for some $200, many 42 on sale.
$200 is within reason. I will have to do some research on them. The big thing being the Techno II strap.

However, if I can replace the velcro straps on my 5.5's as Argentius mentioned, I will probably go that route. I am a repair kind of guy in lieu of new and shiny unless the new and shiny is really a lot better than the old or the old cannot be repaired.

I tend to brag more about how long things have lasted me in lieu of how new my things are.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I decided to look into these velcro straps on my 5.5's tonight to see what the deal is with them. Can they be replaced and why aren't they holding?

As far as I can tell, they can be replaced by cutting out the stitching and stitching new ones in their place. Problem is, I cannot find any replacement velcro straps anywhere.

Then, I looked at the red plastic teeth on the straps that are supposed to keep them in place. On the middle strap, all of one (1) tooth makes contact between the top and bottom layers and on the bottom strap (i.e., the one closest to my toes) only two (2) teeth make contact between the top and bottom layers. The remaining teeth on the top layer are just hanging over the edge of the bottom strap being completely useless.

In my search for new velcro straps, I read on another chatboard that some guys never, ever, take the velcro straps off once they put them in place on their first ride. They only use the buckle at the top of the shoe to get their feet in and out of the shoes. Do you guys do the same thing? If so, I am going to kick myself in the ass for having continually unbuckled the velcro straps over the past 4+ years.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I only use the top strap on all my Sidis.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pagey said:
+1 I use these in my Sidi Lasers.
What is the difference between the Lasers and the Ergo 2? Is it just the middle strap being the Techno II on the Ergo 2 versus the velcro strap on the Laser?

·
Ride bicycles? Why?
522 Posts
I have the new genius pro's with the locking velcro straps and they are great. They are way better than the regular velcro straps on my specialized bg pros are.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
fabs if interested there is also a pair of Sidi Ergo1 for $150, size 43 but those are smaller than the Ergo2. maybe is more a 42.5.... those have the removable carbon sole.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts