Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I have never owned any bike shoes but my feet feel numb on long rides using my NB All Terrain sneakers. Would road shoes help and are they really worth the $$$. Any particular brand/type you can suggest for a low level local racer/recreational rider. The terrain is full of mountains (1000m+) and flat on the coast line.
I have a slim foot and so fit could be a problem.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I own a pair and I have two problems with them. One is that the little SPD pedal insert in the sole of the shoe moves back and forth as I pedal making an irritating noise. One day, I'm going to squirt some caulking in there to stop it. The other problem is poor ventilation. That's fine for cool weather riding but not so good when it is hot. You can always cover up the ventilation on cool days. Not much you can do to increase it unless you want to punch some holes in your over $200 shoes.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of them. I much prefer my shimano shoes. They are better made, have excellent ventilation (even in the sole) and are quiet as a mouse. They are also significantly less expensive. They feature an ultra stiff carbon fiber sole.

The most important thing, I think, is fit so check that out. You can live with a few negatives as long as the shoes fit. Take care.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Don't know about the 5's but my 1998 Genius shoes are still going strong after 8 years and well over 15,000 miles. I figure they are the best money I've spent on biking. If they ever wear out I'll buy new SIDI Genius shoes. They're cheap in the long run.

Al

·
Registered
48 Posts
accidental said:
hi, I have never owned any bike shoes but my feet feel numb on long rides using my NB All Terrain sneakers. Would road shoes help and are they really worth the $$$. Any particular brand/type you can suggest for a low level local racer/recreational rider. The terrain is full of mountains (1000m+) and flat on the coast line.
I have a slim foot and so fit could be a problem.[/QUOTE

Sidi sell the genius 5 in narrow widths. I thought they would be too hot as well, but that has never been an issue, and I live in the desert (New Mexico). The only grip I have with mine is I don't like the insole pad as my feet would hurt on longer rides. Switched them out with some Specialzed BG inserts and I couldn't be happier.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Running Shoes

Al1943 said:
They're cheap in the long run.
Similar experience with long life. Got mine about the same time (98) and rode them all the time for thousands of miles. In 2003 I upgraded to Genius 4 because my son grew to my shoe size and he raced in my old Sidi's all summer in 2004. As hard as he is on equipment he could not destroy these shoes and they are now my rain shoes. My son got the Genius 5 shoes for 2005 and likes them as well as the 98 version. Never noticed the heat problem mentioned by FMV, perhaps it is because we live in northern Indiana and it is cooler up here.

Fit is important and if the Sidi shoes fit you then they are a great investment. We both have feet on the narrower side and these are great shoes. When trying them on make sure the toebox is comfortable for you as my wife had a problem with her original pair but then went up a half size and they work now. The ratchet is nice for mid ride adjustment and is secure when engaged.

Don't know about the SPD insert issue. Rode my old pair with the Look insert without a problem. Currently riding with ProFit pedals that have a Look bolt pattern and no troubles. I believe the Genius 5's have a built in insert for Look pattern cleats rather than an insert.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
great advice from everyone. obviously, the main point here is to try everything on. the needing a spacer for the pedal system you use/want may be an issue. but...i went to the lbs looking to try on the cheaper zeta sidi's along with everything else they had. and i did. but i have a funny foot. kind of wide but not obsenely so. i walked away with the genius 5s. i love them. i put them on to lay around on the couch. i feel sexy in them...uh, i mean macho :)

anyway, you'll know the right shoes when they are on your feet. there are plenty of solid brands to choose from. don't get stuck on one name or model. be the shoes.........

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
I dig my Side Genius 5 Megas. I also live in the desert (Tucson) and have zero ventilation problems with them. Very comfortable and black.....two of my favorite things.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I don't hate them, but I don't love'em either. I have a pair of megas, which I need to wear due to a foot injury. IMO, they just don't compare to the Shimano 151's I used to wear. The quality of construction and materials are just not there. And there's the strap. Whoever thought of that should have to ride a rainy double century in jeans. Was there something wrong with velcro.

Bottom line is that I feel "meh" about the Genius 5's.

·
Registered
203 Posts
How are the Genius 5 Megas for toe room? I have Specialized Comp Roads right now and while they are generally very good, I could use a little more room up front as I have wide, thick feet. The Sidis look a little pointy in the toe area. The Shimano 151s are hard to find around here, especially in the wide style, but I'd consider them too.

·
Banned
608 Posts
If they fit, Sidis are the best cycling shoes hands down. They last forever. I have a pair of Sidi Genius 5's that work great. I also have a pair of Sidi Genius 3s that I bought years and years ago and have seen tens of thousands of miles. They look almost new. I also have pairs of Dominators and Actions for MTB.

To the person complaining about the strap system instead of velcro on Sidis, there is a reason why pretty much every other shoe maker has copied Sidi's designs. It works better than velcro and can easily be micro adjusted while riding. If parts wear out they can be replaced. With velcro when the stuff loses its cling you are SOL.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
MEGA fit

I have a pair of the Geius 5 Mega and they fit wonderful, I actually prefere the latch system over the plane velcro. My wife wore out the entry level Sidi with the velcro straps, over time the velcro gives out and doesn't stay secure. She has the ladys Genius 5 and loves them as well. As for ventilation problem, live in south GA. and have put in many a mile in some soaring heat and humidity with no problem. My son has the carbon Cat I and a pair of DMT used both on occassion, although both are exceptional shoes, personally prefere the Sidi, the sole insert issue mentioned previous sounds like something to look into. Comfort is the key to hours in the saddle, and any little bit helps.
Ride safe everyone

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love the idea of being able to replace the worn out heel pads every year or so. Perhaps other manufactures offer replacement pieces. All I know is my LBS has plenty of bits and pieces for my Sidi's whenever I need them.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Metaluna said:
How are the Genius 5 Megas for toe room? I have Specialized Comp Roads right now and while they are generally very good, I could use a little more room up front as I have wide, thick feet. The Sidis look a little pointy in the toe area. The Shimano 151s are hard to find around here, especially in the wide style, but I'd consider them too.
I bought a pair of 151's wides, and they were still a bit too narrow for me. I tried the Sidi Megas, and they were wider. Too bad...I was really hoping the 151's would fit. :(

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
To the person complaining about the strap system instead of velcro on Sidis, there is a reason why pretty much every other shoe maker has copied Sidi's designs. It works better than velcro and can easily be micro adjusted while riding. If parts wear out they can be replaced. With velcro when the stuff loses its cling you are SOL.
That would be me. I hate that strap. It's a PITA! There are other shoe makers that have it & I don't like theirs either. As a fan of Shimano shoes, their 251's have a buckle strap. Personally, I wouldn't hit a dead dog in the a$$ with them. That's why I like the 151's. They're basically the same shoe without the strap, for close to $100 less.

I've never had a problem "micro adjusting" my shoes while riding. That includes all 3 times I felt the need to do that in the past 40 years.

"If parts wear out they can be replaced." Thank you! That's one of my points, exactly. Ya got velcro straps...ya got no parts to wear out & need to be replaced. My guess is that I've been riding a lot longer and more than you. I've never had velcro lose its grip, or wear out. Ever.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
That would be me. I hate that strap. It's a PITA! There are other shoe makers that have it & I don't like theirs either. As a fan of Shimano shoes, their 251's have a buckle strap. Personally, I wouldn't hit a dead dog in the a$$ with them. That's why I like the 151's. They're basically the same shoe without the strap, for close to $100 less.

I've never had a problem "micro adjusting" my shoes while riding. That includes all 3 times I felt the need to do that in the past 40 years.

"If parts wear out they can be replaced." Thank you! That's one of my points, exactly. Ya got velcro straps...ya got no parts to wear out & need to be replaced. My guess is that I've been riding a lot longer and more than you. I've never had velcro lose its grip, or wear out. Ever.
I guess you haven't done and undone velcro enough. The pile on it does wear out...but it can be replaced, just like the micro adjust straps. When I was a sewer in a shop that fixed and made outdoor gear, me replaced tons of velcro.

As for the micro adjust straps. I don't know what the PIA is about them. On the Sidi's a real nice feature of 'em is that you push on half the release lever, and the straps loosen by half a click, which is nice at the longer end of a long day in the saddle. Sure you can do the same w/ velcro straps. Different methods to do the same thing. Neither is better.

·
Banned
608 Posts
alienator said:
As for the micro adjust straps. I don't know what the PIA is about them. On the Sidi's a real nice feature of 'em is that you push on half the release lever, and the straps loosen by half a click, which is nice at the longer end of a long day in the saddle.
Exactly. With velcro you peel the inner most strap completely and then try to put it back slightly looser than it was before. It is difficult to get the tightness you want; there is a lot of guess work involved. With the Sidi style buckles I can loosen the straps half a step quickly and without thinking about it. I remember when I used to use velcro only shoes; the new buckle systems are a huge improvement.

Replacing velcro by having your shoes re-sewn sounds rather expensive compared to buying a new plastic strap or buckle.

·
century rider
108 Posts
nice fit...not stiff enough

I just bought sidi G5 to replace my shimano carbons. the G5 fits like a glove! but my dissappointment when I took my first long ride. Its pales in comparison with my R150s in stiffness. if you're racing go find something with carbon soles, the lack of stiffness of G5s will rob you of power. that said I expect my G5s to outlast any shimano shoe, my 1997 dominator is still in good shape.

·
Registered
28 Posts
SIDI Shoes

I like Sidi's. I have a pair of Genius 5's and a pair of Dominators 5's ( Mtn. shoes ). Both in Mega size. I also have a pair of Storms. The Storms are not helpful on cold rides, below 40, but warmer than the Dominators.

Tough Shoe. When I opened the box and touched the shoe I thought that they felt soft and inadequately made. Was I wrong! These shoes have stood up to a beating. Curbs, rough pavement and rocks. I am surprised at how well the shoes have lasted.

That being said, the most important thing is their fit. I wear a EEE width shoe. I could not find any other shoe that fit my wide foot. They make them for narrow feet as well.

Comfortable shoes. The Sidi's are perfect. My old Carbon Shimano's killed my feet on anything longer than a one hour ride. I can ride in these shoes all day and my feet feel wonderful. Most riders I know echo the same statement about their Sidi's.

They tend to fit your feet better as they age as they conform to your feet. My Shimano's molded to my foot also but the material became dry and hard. The Sidi's are made out of a synthetic material that remains soft. Great for on or off road racing/riding. Not to bad for cross either.

Only problem is the cost. These shoes are to expensive. You can buy other shoes for a lot less money. They may or may not last as long as the Sidi's but, this way you have new shoes more often. I have decided that I must have Sidi's because of the fit, so I have to pay the price. Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts