Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new set of pedals. I currently have the Sidi Genius 3 shoes and SPD pedals. I was looking at the Ultegra SPD-SL pedals. Does anyone have experience with these? Also, will the SPD-SL cleats fit on the Genius 3 shoes? Wasn't sure about the screw placement of the cleats.

Thanks,
Tim

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
switched from Look to Ultegra on my winter bike and DA on my Racing bike and love 'em. As long as you have Look compatable shoes (which i assume you do) then you're good to go.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I like the Ultegra SPD-SL. They clip out easily and even on the lowest tension setting I don't clip out unexpectedly. They are a bit more difficult than my old Looks to get into because it is a little harder to find the 'loop' with the 'tongue' of the cleat. But once you do they clip in easier.

The cleat design is way better than Looks'-- the rubber bumpers take all the wear and give you better walking traction, and the parts that wear are not the parts that determine how the cleat fits into the pedal. And they don't squeak!

I have Genius 4's and they had the correct bolt three bolt setup for SPD-SLs (or Looks for that matter). I think that older Genius shoes needed an insert to switch bolt patterns, so you may need to buy parts for yours. If the LBS doesn't have them, try Excel Sports.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Got a friend who's run SPD-SLs and Genius 4's for a year or more (thousands of miles) with no problems.

I liked the SLs just fine myself, though the one-sided entry sent me trying other things, so I've never put them on my Sidis. Bolt pattern is compatible, though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't have them, but I've been researching a lot to come to the Genius 5 + Keo Sprint purchase I made this week. I've read that the SPD-SL cleats come with screws that are too short when paired with Sidi shoes. Small, easily overcome issue, but something to keep in mind.

P.S. check out probikekit.com before you buy. My order hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure I should be recommending yet, but others have had good experience, and the prices are amazing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got some better shoes, Sidi Ergo 1's as they were last years models. I got some Keo Sprints and paid a little more for the carbons, and they are very good for clipping and unclipping, with adjustable tension and 3 different cleat styles, that allow for 9o float, 4.5o float and no float :)

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Wrong

imetis said:
I don't have them, but I've been researching a lot to come to the Genius 5 + Keo Sprint purchase I made this week. I've read that the SPD-SL cleats come with screws that are too short when paired with Sidi shoes. Small, easily overcome issue, but something to keep in mind.

P.S. check out probikekit.com before you buy. My order hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure I should be recommending yet, but others have had good experience, and the prices are amazing.
Sidi Genius and Spd-sl work with original hardware...I use this set-up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.