Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my smancy new roadie shoes... Is the Energy worth the $20 extra over a pair of genius'?

Or should I get some shimano's?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
In my opinion get the Genius. The Energy is regularly blown out for less than the Genius cause no one wants them. They just have more crap that will fall off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The energy has micro adjusters that allow you to tighten the shoes while your riding. Try both and if you like how they feel then pick them up. Their both identical shoes with different fastening systems.

·
DonRacer
63 Posts
can't go wrong either way

Great shoes, the Energys have a sole stiffness adjuster, which is a gimmick, I can't feel any difference between settings. I like the adjusters on the Energy more than the straps on the Genius. Another difference is that the Geniuses I have are all Lorica (leather) while the Energys have some small mesh panels. Thus, the Energys breathe better in summer, but the Geniuses are a bit warmer when it gets chilly outside.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
No

At least to me. I have Energy's (which I like) and the buckles are a nice feature as they are very adjustable. The sole adjuster is crap though. Having said that, I got a new pair of Shimano carbons over the winter and don't miss the fancy buckles a bit. The Shimanos are the velcro strap version, not the ratchet buckle. They have relegated the Sidis to 'spare shoe' status this season.

Look at it this way - Geniuses use basically the same upper and to me a better (no gadget) sole than Energys. The fit is the same. To me the choice is between Genius or Genius Carbons - a bigger cost difference, but maybe a real performance difference.

·
497 Posts
I have Energies

...and think you should save $20 and go with the Genius4. I found mine for $120 a couple years ago but would have bought Genius otherwise. The sole stiffness adjuster is a gimmick. I also prefer velcro straps over the fishing line thingies that I have on mine. The main ratchet buckle is nice though, although I think this is on the Genius shoes as well.

In general, Sidi shoes fit very well on narrow feet and mine have lasted a very long time. If you have wider feet or want super stiff carbon soles, you might want save your money and try other brands like Shimano.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a pair of each model which I regularly use.
My preference is for the Genius as I prefer the mix of 2 velcro straps and the ratchet buckle.
They are quicker and easier to put on and the velcro straps seem to give a slightly snugger fit than the 2 lower ratchet straps on the Energy.
As for the sole adjustment on the Energy, well I have it cranked up to the most rigid setting and I can't tell the differnce between the Energy or the Genius.

Saying all that they are both exellent shoes - just get the ones which are the best price and are in the colour you prefer.

For cold weather I would recommend the Sidi freeze road boots - have used them for the last two winters.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sidi Energy...

divve said:
In my opinion get the Genius. The Energy is regularly blown out for less than the Genius cause no one wants them. They just have more crap that will fall off.
the above statement is true, there ARE more things to go wrong with the Energy's than with the Genius. However, I've had two seasons on a pair of Energy's with no complaints.
I like the ratchet buckles and the heel adjustor works just fine. I've never had to re-adjust. This is my third pair of sidi's and the best so far.

That being said, you really can't go wrong with the Genius either as most of what's good carries over between the two models (fit, stiffness, upper and lower durability). But being that you can find some sweet deals on the internet for the Energy's (totalcycling.com) why not go with them? MHO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts