Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking for some tips about Sidi fitting differences. I have read that the sizes are "growing" and that the Ergo 2's are narrower in general, but am curious about differences between Genius 5's, 5.5's, 6.6's, and ergo 2's. I was told in a shop that 5.5 and 6.6 fit narrower than the 5's. True? I can only try on the Genius 5, but because I have a narrow heel, I am interested in the 6.6 or Ergo 2 for the heel lock feature. Sole stiffness is not a big issue for me and because of my below-detailed problems with some new shimano shoes I'm even inclined to opt for a less-stiff shoe like the basic genius 5. When people say narrower re: Sidi, do they mean actual width in the forefoot, or just low-volume?

A little info: I normally wear a 45.5-46 and have a very low volume foot, wide fore-foot, and long-ish toes. In the Genius 5, a 45 fits the ball, arch, and heel of my foot best, although it is a little crowded in the toe box, which fits with the idea here that the sizes fit larger than they used too, I've never worn a 45 before. I noticed some heel slip in the 45.5, and a little less still some in the 45.

Would appreciate any shared advice or experience!

Brian

FWIW:
I recently bought shimano SH-2220's which felt great in the store and made sense because I have enjoyed M225's for a couple years, but these make my feet go numb in 1-2 hrs normal riding, or about 15 minutes of a crit, which is unacceptable! (I tried many different insole and tightening combinations, even cutting away the insole under my toes to decrease the effective sole rocker, all for naught). I have never had problems with hot spots or numbness before, in flimsy old Look shoes, Specialized Comp Carbon shoes, nylon and carbon soled MTB shoes, small cleats, big cleats, whatever. But then again the Comp Carbons were the stiffest-soled of all those and they were only "8.5 out of 12.5" or something like that on the specialized stiffness scale. Becuase of that experience I am paranoid now about spending the money again on carbon shoes, but the uppers of my Adidas shoes are too soft for good support and because of the poor drilling and my heels-in pedalling style, with those shoes I can only find my position in speedplays, which wear out too fast and lack the lateral support my knees need. Anyways, huge pain in the a** but i would rather spend money and have shoes and pedals for the long run, I ride too much to not have supportive shoes and pedals.

(cross post from weightweenies)

· Banned
606 Posts
Well I just got a pair of 6.6's and they do seem just a touch narrower then the 5 pro's though the 5 pro's were a 44 and the 6.6's are a 43.5 (my mistake getting the 44's just a half size too big went to my Dad as an early father's day gift). The 6.6's have a heel retention thingy but it is the none adjustable one, the ergo's is adjustable and I have an email in to sidi now to see if nthe adjustable one is able to be used on the 6.6's, don't think so but maybe. anyhow hope that helps!

· Registered
2,420 Posts
Here is what I can tell you from my experience:

I have some Genius 6.6 from 2007 in size 43 and have been riding them daily for three years. Very nice shoes, I like them and they fit nicely. I have a narrow foot and they fit me well. With Super Feet insoles I love them. Good fit in length and not too wide. I have a very narrow foot so like narrow cycling shoes. (I also have some high-end Diadoras from 2006/07 that are far too wide on me. The opening for your foot is just too big and no matter how much I wrench them down, my heel still pulls up). These Geniuses have the heel cup cap deal, but not as advanced as they are on the newest models. I also have a narrow heel. I usually wear a size 9 U.S. in sneakers - Adidas, NB, Diadora.

I ordered some 2010 Ergo 2's the other week in size 43. They are FAR too big, like a whole size too big. Fit okay in the length but the toe area is really room. Ugh. I never thought sizes would creep up in Sidis like they have been doing lately in U.S. clothing. I've gone from a medium to a small in most shirts.

I got another pair of the 2010 Ergo 2's in 42 and they fit me well. I'm trying to decide if they are too snug. I think the length is good and the toe box, but the shoe itself is really quite snug. I think I just need to get ultra thin socks, as I'm using the thin Smart Wool cycling socks at the moment. I tend to use a heavier sock due to my narrow foot.

**I have heard that the half sizes of Sidis use the same last, so a 42 and a 42.5 will be the same length, just a different amount of room in the toe box. You'll have to confirm this though, might just be a tall tale.

I like most of my shoes to fit a half size big. I know your foot will swell a bit during sports. But, I think I'm going to opt on the snug side this time, rather than the less snug. I think your foot is going to swell more during pounding impact sports like running than during cycling.

Oh...I also have some NOS Sidis I picked up. I think they are around a 1990 model - have seen photos of Big Mig wearing them in the 1990 tour. They are a size 43 and fit me well.

I don't know if all Sidis are creeping up or if it is just a difference between the fit of the Genius 6.6 and the Ergo 2's. I've been extremely happy with my pair of Geniuses but thought I'd give the Ergo 2's a shot.

Good luck! I learned this advice from the forums...but if you are ordering something that is hard to size from abroad, I'd order two sizes and then just ship one back. Easier and less frustrating than ordering one size, they don't fit, then having to wait another two weeks for next size to arrive. If you are getting free shipping, you'll still only have to pay for return shipping on one item. I did this with gloves recently and had to send some back to Ireland and was only like $3.

· Banned
606 Posts
Side Note: on fit and footbeds, I have the green specialized beds and have had them in my shoes since I have gotten them about 10 days ago. Yesterday out on a ride I noticed my heel slipping more then I would expect with a well fitting shoe. When I first got the shoes I put them on with the sidi footbed and thought, 'wow, they are comfortable' so today I pulled out the specialized and put the sidi bed back in, heel slip is gone and the shoe feels really comfortable. Shoe felt comfortable with the spec. bed but different but the heel slip just really sucked so needless to say the sidi beds are staying in. YMMV.

· Registered
129 Posts
Cpk said:
The 6.6's have a heel retention thingy but it is the none adjustable one, the ergo's is adjustable and I have an email in to sidi now to see if nthe adjustable one is able to be used on the 6.6's, don't think so but maybe. anyhow hope that helps!
Sidi makes an aftermarket kit that will make the heel retention adjustable on the 6.6's. You can order it from your LBS. The adjustable one from the Ergo's will not work though.

· Registered
388 Posts
My Genius 6.6 has the adjustable heel cups, but you need to remove a plastic cover to tighten a phillips head fastener. I believe the Ergo allows manual adjustment, and those Ergo parts are compatible with the Genius.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.