Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to use Shimano shoes for both road and MTB applications, but I recently made what I thought was an upgrade to Sidi. I have noticed that my Sidi shoes do not seem to fit as well. Specifically, I experience "heel slip", where my heel feels like it comes half way up out of the shoe when I stand and pedal or when I am walking in the shoes (this is a bigger problem with MTBing as dismounting and walking is more frequent than on the road). Even when I crank the ratchet down really tight on the top of my foot, my heel still slips some.
I wore size 45 in Shimano, and am using 44.5 in Sidi, so I don't think the Sidis are too big. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Does Shimano put more padding in the inside of the heel or something? Perhaps I should just sell my Sidis on Ebay and go back to Shimano...

· Registered
10,161 Posts
advice...

Perhaps you should have tried a size 44 before buying. The shoes could be too big, or it could just be the shape of your foot. I never had a problem like that with 3 pairs of Sidis.

You might also just try adding some adhesive heel slip prevention pads. My wife often needs those on her shoes.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
C-40 said:
Perhaps you should have tried a size 44 before buying. The shoes could be too big, or it could just be the shape of your foot. I never had a problem like that with 3 pairs of Sidis.

You might also just try adding some adhesive heel slip prevention pads. My wife often needs those on her shoes.
+1...mine fit great.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the shoes are too big. I don't have room to move my foot forward/back within the shoe any more than I could with my Shimanos. It may just be that the shape of my foot does not work with Sidis.

· Banned
519 Posts
Sidi's, though narrow up front, are a tad wider than most shoes in the back. I had ridden Sidi for many years and thought nothing of every switching to another shoe. When the bike shop had a shoe sale, I tried on some Shimanos and Specialized. WOW! The heal cups of both shoes are narrower, yep narrower, than Sidi, which makes them way better fitting for me. In the end, I got the Shimanos, but the Specialized were a cose second that I may get after I'm done with my current pair. Plus, I'm done forever with the narrowness of the Sidi toe box too, so my feet like that. :)

· More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
Quite simply, every foot is different. I was talking to the LBS owner last week about new shoes. He replaced some Sidi Dominator 5's with the new Dragon's because his heel would slip up and down. The new Dragon's have a pair of set screws in the plastic piece around the top of the heel which can snug the shoe around your Achilles tendon. He said the fit, for him, was a huge improvement. I on the other hand have had perfectly good results with the Dom 4's and now 5's. YMMV.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
barbedwire said:
Sidi's, though narrow up front, are a tad wider than most shoes in the back. I had ridden Sidi for many years and thought nothing of every switching to another shoe. When the bike shop had a shoe sale, I tried on some Shimanos and Specialized. WOW! The heal cups of both shoes are narrower, yep narrower, than Sidi, which makes them way better fitting for me. In the end, I got the Shimanos, but the Specialized were a cose second that I may get after I'm done with my current pair. Plus, I'm done forever with the narrowness of the Sidi toe box too, so my feet like that. :)
That makes the most sense. I guess I'll go back to Shimano. So much for my plan to go all Italian!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.