Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Having been looking at the Sidi Wire shoes.

Ride with speedplay pedals. Also live in a hot climate. I notice the Wires either come with the vent or the speedplay four hole system to avoid the adaptor plate.

That is, the Speedplay version do not have the vent, apparently.

So my question is: if you live in a hot climate do you go the vent with the slightly higher stack height?

Or

The Speedplay specific shoe that is slightly hotter?

Thank you for comments.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
As you've noticed there is a difference between soles on the Wires and Ergos, :(
If it's really a hot climate I'd look into the Wire Air or the new Mavics.
If you were fine before the vent sole came out chances are you will be fine with the Speedplay sole.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have the new Sidi Wires. Have been experimenting and can tell absolutely no difference when the vent is open versus closed. I do find that the wires have less ventilation overall than previous Sidi models. They are lacking the mesh panels near the toes, and instead have venting on the arch padded area.

Haven't ridden in temperatures above 90 yet, so it will be interesting to see how that works out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
^ have ridden the regular Wires above 90 every ride as I live in the tropics. The Wire's nose vent won't actually produce a breeze, but you will notice that heat doesn't build up inside the toe box.

Both the Vent and the SP compatibility has it's own appeal and i'm actually surprised that Sidi wasn't able to punch a hole in the SP version.

If it were up to me, i'd get the SP specific version as I prefer the lower stack height vs. the added vents on the Wire.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Funny I had that same question when i purchased my Ergo 3's. I went with the non-speedplay version so that I could get the vent. I was already used to the Cleat mounting plate on my previous shoes so I noticed no difference in additional height or anything. I just sweat a lot so anything to help cool off (even a little) is better (in my book anyway). I can't say if it made that much of a difference or not because I only have the ones with the vent, but my guess is that they are probably cooler then without the vent. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. Thank you for your replies. I guess at this price point Sidi can't please everyone. You have to go into custom territory.

Must be some structural reason why they cannot put the vent on the Speedplay sole.

I think I'm with you Mann2. In fact it looks like they do not make the Wire Air with the Speedplay sole, which is a shame as this would seem to cancel the sole vent out.

Ian, you're right if you've already been living with the adaptor plate you'll soon get used to them. But if you're spending this much money you may as well get what's theoretically possible.

How much difference can 4mm stack height make anyway?

Nightfend, please let us know how you go in hotter conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.