Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing this ride this weekend. I heard that they have taken out slug gulch and put in a new hill at the end to make it just as tough. Climbing is supposed to be over 8000 feet and route has been expanded to 109 miles. Sounds like fun!!

·
Any ride...
109 Posts
I'll be there!

Funny, I was just doing a search to see what was up with the route change. I've heard that there is some kind of winery event in the Slug Gulch region, so they changed the route to avoid the traffic. I'm disappointed, but am hopeful that the new hill will be a challenge.

I may be riding alone after the first few miles; skinny guy on a Giant carbon, probably wearing the full death ride kit (hey, it was cheap off their web site (clearance from prior year), and I did ride and finish the death ride...). Say "hello" if you see me!

Brian

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not quite sure what bike I will be on but I will be wearing my 2002 green sprinters jersey from the TDF. I am doing the mental masturbation thing in my head to figure out which bike to bring, the Orca or the Look 555. Iam leaning for the long ride comfort of the orca but with all that climbing the stiffer Look has merits as well

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wrong ride for the Green Jersey!

Rob and Bop - I'll be wearing a non-descript kit (most likely Castelli black bibs and a white jersey) and rolling on my matte black Specialized Roubaix. I'm 6-4 so I should stand out a bit. I've never done this ride but I'm prepping for the Death Ride, which I've also never done.

Are you guys camping or driving up in the morning? My buddy wants to leave at 5:30 or 6:00 so we're (unfortunately) camping.

Edit - Rob, I built up the Roubaix just for these kind of events. I also have a Pinarello F4:13, but would not want to ride 120 miles on it. My vote is for comfort for this event!

·
Any ride...
109 Posts
I'll probably be staying with relatives in Folsom, but some fellows from my riding group have offered to share their campsite. I'd be more motivated to camp with them if I were sharing a ride with anyone, but looks like I'm driving up from Chico on my own (odd man out!). Might as well try to get the better rest!

Either way, I'm planning to hit the road at 6am. We may have a cool day, but I'd still like to avoid riding in the afternoon if I can...

This is a good prep ride / fitness check for the death ride. They are both a couple of my favorite rides. I'll be in Colorado during the death ride weekend this year, though.

I like the contraction of my ID to "Bop"; almost as good as one of my students referring to me as "Doc Opp".

Have a great ride!

·
the other Derek
421 Posts
Look for Team Tropa

Somehow that double metric century is just not getting me excited. I'll be rolling with a group of Philipino riders wearing blue and red Tropa jerseys.

If I can get my legs to last 10k feet of elevation gain before they cramp up, then I'll have accomplished a major hurdle for this season. Anybody have a phone number for a good masseuse?

Derek

·
Registered
137 Posts
Registration for this ride is closed but the website says they have 300 ride day registration spots available. I thought I would give it a try and just show up. Does anyone know if this is a good idea or how hard it will be to get one of the 300 spots?

Looks like a fun ride and it would be a good test before my Climb to Kaiser ride at the end of June.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm going to try to get in...

cotocalicyclist said:
Registration for this ride is closed but the website says they have 300 ride day registration spots available. I thought I would give it a try and just show up. Does anyone know if this is a good idea or how hard it will be to get one of the 300 spots?

Looks like a fun ride and it would be a good test before my Climb to Kaiser ride at the end of June.

Thanks
Maybe leave the South Bay Area at 4 AM and get there at 6. I've ridden it twice before and it's one of my favorite centuries.

Anybody know if you can camp/sleep in the parking lot?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm in - great ride!

Did this ride last year, but only the metric. It was en excellent ride and I've been looking forward to it all year. Was hoping to conquer Slug Gulch this year, but I'm sure that Hale Rd, will be a good challenge as well. The Sac Wheelmen do a top notch job of putting this event together. The rest stops are kick a$$ !!

One tip I can offer:

After the rest stop in Volcano, you will climb Ram's Horn Grade. This is a good climb, and you may not want to fill up your water bottles all the way. At the top of the climb there is another small water filling rest stop with water & gatorade. So you can avoid carrying extra water weight up that climb if you want. This was the case last year, so I hope they do the same thing again this year.

I be riding a Silver & Black Orbea Onix with Rolf Vigor wheels. I'll be wearing either a Google jersey or an Adobe Tour of California jersey.

Have a great ride everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.