Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've posted on and off about my fairly old (18 years) cat whose had a number of health problems over the years: she was my moms cat - before she passed we promised we would take care of her.

Over the years she had been diabetic but had been in remission for quite some time.

Earlier this spring I'd posted a message about her having a severe allergic reaction to a rabies vaccine our local vet required to have (the city I live in requires regular immunizations even if she is an indoor cat only).

It seemed to go downhill from there. Even the University of Minnesota vet hospital didn't have anything they could really do.

Unfortunately she's had this lymphatic drainage called chyle or chyleus effusion which could have been related to lymphoma (cancer). In cats lymphoma is treated with steroids which haven't really worked. So they theorize this is what they call idiopathic (no known source) or perhaps trauma from the allergic reaction.

Basically the few treatment options we've had really haven't worked and may have just bought her a couple of months.

She hadn't seemingly been in pain but now this drainage is preventing her from breathing easily - now it appears very likely her breathing might shut down altogether. Strangling to death is not anything I'd wish on any creature. Now she's finding it hard to eat at all and mostly rests and you can see her breath is labored.

We're going to have a vet come over to do the deed while she's at home in her familiar environment - it's really the only thing I think we can do at present.

My wife (and myself for that matter) have been extremely attached to this cat and it's like losing a family member. She was one of those cats who had a big personality and was very social.

Nothing really can be done but felt I needed to talk about it somewhere. Poor little kitty.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
What a beautiful cat. We have a torti too, and get a kick out of her "tortitude".

But you know that you are doing the right thing. No need to let an animal suffer like that, and putting her down is the most humane thing you can do. It's so difficult to do, and yet so necessary. I feel for you.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
I'm so sorry. Having put one of ours to sleep last month, I feel for you. But it sounds like the best and most humane option for her. You've done a lot to extend her life; more than many would have. Hang in there.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news! We have a long hair tortie too and reading your story along with the photo made me think of a day in the future where my wife and I will have to make a similar decision. As a person who has had to make the same decision in the past, I feel for you!

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Nice looking cat. She's had a good long life.
Sorry for your loss.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Sorry to hear, and many of us have been in that position. It just sucks, no doubt about it. But she's had a good long life and you've done all that can be done.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Doing the right thing doesn't make it SUCK any less, condolences. She looks very much like my "Allie" cat. They do have attitude. Hope as time passes your memories will be pleasant.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
She's sure a beauty. Sounds like she's getting a lot of love from you and your wife. Doing the right thing for our four-legged family members sure can be tough. My condolences.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You kept your promise to look after her and that you have. Miss her heaps and think of the joy that she gave.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Poor little girl. You gave her a great life and she gave you a lot of love in return. You'll always have memories.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
we had to do that a few years back. we only had our little buddy for a few years (she was a stray we adopted) but we sure do miss her.

yours was a lucky kitty to have such a long and happy life.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, but it sounds the time had come. She is a beautiful cat who obviously had a loving home. Never an easy decision to make, but you recognize that you are doing what is best for her.

·
Custom User Title
359 Posts
As hard as it is to do, you're doing the right thing. You gave her a happy life after your mom passed, and the Great Kitty in the Sky will look kindly upon you.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cat. We had to put our 15 year old cat down about three weeks ago. My wife took it very tought. I am by no means an insensitive guy, but it was a Friday night, when my wife decided we needed to take the cat to the emergency room. I could hear the ca$h register ringing in my ears. Whe we arrived, they said her temp was low and didn't know what was wrong. They presented a bill with low end and high end, which ranged from $1,900 to $4,000. There were things on there like a CAT SCAN, which in keeping my solice I refrained from making light of the situation..

After much consultation, we put the cat down. $175 for the visit and $200 for putting her to sleep. I am really thinking now about those Sidi shoes I want. I am also thinking, we could have brought the cat in the next day and not paid ER fees and why not let the cat die at home.

Anyway's, best wishes to you and your wife and sorry for the loss of the cat; I do know what you are going through.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That really sucks.

I have NO idea what I'm going to do when my cats get old. Thankfully they are still fairly young (5 years or so), but man o man it's going to be terrible.

Good luck with everything.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Latest update:

It's been a really rough week.

Tuesday night was so bad that it seemed inevitible. I took the rest of the week off from work and figured at some point here we would lose her.

We pretty much had decided to have the vet come at mid-day on wednesday when the cat started rallying and doing better.

We were wondering if it was too soon to put her down since she was not in any obvious distress yet and still appeared interested in things like food.

We could see she was doing occasional open mouth breathing but for the most part there was no real difference between her usual behavior and now.

Pic of the little girl.

I went to the vet yesterday afternoon to get more of the prednisone they prescribed for us to give to her as maybe it was* helping at some level.

I was concerned because the University of Minnesota vet clinic is over a half hour drive away from our house via freeway and the med needed to be refrigerated and the last time there was a traffic jam and I couldn't help but thinking maybe the 40 or so minute drive exposed the meds to room temps for too long or was I fooling myself?

They took the meds right out of the fridge at the vet clinic and I put it into a large soft drink cup filled with ice and kept it in that until I got home where it was promptly refrigerated again.

We talked to the vet and they said she may seesaw back and forth from doing surprisingly well to not going very well at all but that "when it was time she would let us know".

She's such a sweet cat too - very rarely do you have the type of cat who acts more like a dog who will come when you call and likes to be petted and doesn't have much of that "I'm a cat, I'm supposed to be aloof" thing.

I was going to go out for a good long road bike ride today but couldn't really stay away from the house for too long. After about 5 miles I kept turning around.

Anyway, thanks for the support folks - it helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts