Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The house next door to Chez lfr is a rental. We live in a pretty nice area, mixed demographic, but still close enough to campus that we have the odd batch of undergrads-in-a-rental here and there.

I'd noticed that the new batch of undergrad ladies who moved in next door at the beginning of the month have taken to parking their assortment of jankety heaps in front of our place, which is really no big deal in the grand scheme, but sort of WTF since there's no shortage of street parking anywhere else. Oh, okay now I get it-- you want to leave the space in front of your house for all of YOUR friends to park, and no worries about whether we ever bother to have people over. Which is again, no big deal, since the majority of our friends ride bikes to our place, come thru the side gate, and park them in the backyard or on our patio.

But I must admit, I'm feeling increasingly uncharitable in general towards this year's crop of tenants; they are already proving to be rude and loud and silly. Since they moved in on the 1st, they've managed to inflict several annoying parties on their surroundings, and as anyone who knows me can tell you, it takes quite a lot of party to annoy me. These also appear to be your stereotypical worst species of undergrad parties, with obnoxious drunken loud dudes and beer pong and puke in the bushes and high-pitched shrieky badness going on until ass o'clock AM. (One can also assume that Unfortunate Things could potentially happen to Naive Young Damsels as well, and all levity aside, that would truly suck).

This morning (it's trash day) I went out to start the timer on our rose garden sprinklers, and find the neighbor-across-the-street's bin perched atop one of the aforementioned jankety heaps. Which, of course, is parked in front of our property.

BoyToy sees it out the window and is like... wait, seriously? Since I could hear the trash guys coming up the block, I scurried out to move the bin back to the kerb in front of his place (in my slippers and PJs, natch). See, we both like Dude-Across-The-Street, a lot. He brings us cucumbers and plumbing advice, and loaned us his truck to take a pile of branches to the dump, plus he takes his adorable wee little white mop of a dog for rides in his bike basket, and is just in general the Best Neighbor Evar. And, while we don't guess he'd really mind, and likely it's just another episode of Thoughtless Kids Being Pranky, this is just seriously rude. The trash guys won't pick up a bin that's not at the kerb. And, it's OUR frickin house you're doing this in front of, you silly airheaded wenches.

So while I'd like to be all chill neighbor and such, I think they just got their last free pass on cluelessness. We've already introduced ourselves and been cool and then asked (even nicely FFS) if they could maybe rein in the exuberance a tad at their last party (this was after midnight on a weeknight).

I think I'll forego the passive-aggressive note under the windshield wiper and proceed directly to determining who their slumlord is and see if waving around the "underage drinking" and "potential date rape scenario" cards gets any action. Assuming such entity exists in a contactable fashion... which judging from the 2" diameter trees growing out of the foundation, rusting bits of junk and broken plastic furniture in the backyard, and the general neglect and disarray of the property in general, maybe a futile endeavour.

At any rate, next time they decide to throw a kegger with their frathole chums, I think we'll invite Boulder's Finest over for a visit.

bah. why can't they just get stoned off their gourds and play loud reggae and juggle fire until all hours, like ordinary Boulder college students?

*sigh*

Get off my lawn? You damn kids?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
When did you get old? :D

Didn't realize that on street parking was lim ited to the homeowner the space was in front of? :blush2:

Len

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Geesh, Grasshopper ... thinking back to Ye Olde CompuServe days, when you and I first e-met, I realize with no small measure of sadness than Len J is right: you HAVE gotten old.

Welcome to the party. :cryin:

·
Proud luddite
7,191 Posts
I used to live near the U of A campus here in Tucson and ran into similar scenarios a couple times. Here the cops are taking these situations more seriously then they used to. If there was a loud/obnoxious party, neighbors would call the cops and they'd "red tag" the place, which means the police would put a red sticker onthe front door and the landlord had to pay a $500 fine, with the next such transgression resulting in more serious legal action. The red tags worked pretty well, and the drunken undergrads would party elsewhere.

One time 3 undergrad guys moved in right next to us and we automatically started thinking, "Oh boy, here we go again!" Turned out that they were involved in the campus Christian group and they were the quietest young men I've ever known. They actually asked our permission if they could host a Bible study session one night! It was pretty funny, and showed us that you really can't judge a book by its cover.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't realize that on street parking was lim ited to the homeowner the space was in front of?
it isn't, and I wouldn't actually care if they weren't 1) playing at silly buggers with the neighbor's bins and 2) their cars are there All. The. Time, like seriously, their crappy green Sunfire has been in random spots in front of our house now for the past 10 days. There is a wealth of other places they could park it, with shade, even. They could also just park in their own damn driveway? They have a driveway, and 3 or 4 cars' worth of space in front of their place, which they choose not to use for whatever reason (see above).

plus they've just generally been a stain on our existence since day 1, which is more the gist of the rant.

*waves cane at len, scowls over reading glasses*

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Allez Rouge said:
Geesh, Grasshopper ... thinking back to Ye Olde CompuServe days, when you and I first e-met, I realize with no small measure of sadness than Len J is right: you HAVE gotten old.

Welcome to the party. :cryin:
hehe you didn't see me talking BoyToy out of going next door and beating on the door in a selfrighteous snit at 7AM... and he's, well, BoyToy, as in, a heckuvalot closer to their age than I am.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Our neighbors aren't undergrads, but they do the same thing every once in a while. And I've gone too many times over there at 2:00 AM only to have them ask me incredulously, "Too loud?" Most of the time I don't even say anything. I don't have to. They know. I just burn them with my eyes.

I can excuse it once or twice a year. But this happens a lot. Sometimes two or three times a month. And even when the party is quiet, we get woken at 3AM up by their friends leaving.

I've had it. So now my policy is that I don't go over there any more. I will call the police if they are at all noisy after 10 pm. And I'll keep calling as often as I have to. In my neighborhood, the police don't have much to do, so they show up quick.

Thankfully, they haven't had a party for a while now, so I haven't had to make that call. But they will.

Anyway, that's my advice. They've used up their free passes. Time to start calling the authorities when they get loud.

Also, if someone had done the trash thing to me, I would go dump their trash all over their front yard. They can spend the morning picking it up.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Your posts are very long. :)

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Old people revenge is the best revenge- we have more experience.

Friday + LFR thread = Everything's coming up Milhouse!

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MB1 said:
LFR is MsGrumpy!?!

Sweet :thumbsup:
dern tootin! I'm positively flattered!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
it isn't, and I wouldn't actually care if they weren't 1) playing at silly buggers with the neighbor's bins and 2) their cars are there All. The. Time, like seriously, their crappy green Sunfire has been in random spots in front of our house now for the past 10 days. There is a wealth of other places they could park it, with shade, even. They could also just park in their own damn driveway? They have a driveway, and 3 or 4 cars' worth of space in front of their place, which they choose not to use for whatever reason (see above).

plus they've just generally been a stain on our existence since day 1, which is more the gist of the rant.

*waves cane at len, scowls over reading glasses*
LOL....put your trash cans and a few lawn chairs out in front of your house to save "Your" spaces. :rolleyes: :p

Sounds like they have earned whatever wrath you send their way.

Len

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Umm...you chose to live near the campus. Why not move? There are plenty of other areas you could live that these types are less likely to be an issue.

//other than to go to The Fox for a show once in a while I never go to the hill anymore.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Umm...you chose to live near the campus. Why not move? There are plenty of other areas you could live that these types are less likely to be an issue.

//other than to go to The Fox for a show once in a while I never go to the hill anymore.
Martian Acres, not the Hill. We're far enough from campus that it's usually grad students in there, and lord knows those chaps are always too busy studying and digging enough change out from under the furniture to afford their next meal to really bother throwing parties.

BoyToy owns the place, has done for several years now. It was never even remotely an issue until this particular fine crop of chicas arrived.

//I have gotten the impression that our other neighbors are similarly unimpressed FWIW.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
Martian Acres, not the Hill. We're far enough from campus that it's usually grad students in there, and lord knows those chaps are always too busy studying and digging enough change out from under the furniture to afford their next meal to really bother throwing parties.

BoyToy owns the place, has done for several years now. It was never even remotely an issue until this particular fine crop of chicas arrived.

//I have gotten the impression that our other neighbors are similarly unimpressed FWIW.
ahhh...thought you were saying you were next to the hill. martian acres is kinda the hill for grad students though. generally they are quieter, but I guess not in your case. :D

I'd just call the cops on them. After a few times they'll get the idea or get evicted.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Just like the Kubler-Ross model of grief, I long ago formulated the PDex model of "Dammit, the students are back. This is a result of 30 years of living in Boulder. The model reflects the changes that one goes through after graduation and living in a college town as we get older.

As we know the Kubler-Ross model is: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance.

The PDex model is:

Stage 1: I'm cool with everyone and tolerant of everything. In fact, I'm going to try and get invited to their next party.

Stage 2: As long as they keep the parties to the weekends, I'm fine with it.

Stage 3: WTF? They parked on my lawn?

Stage 4: F&^*ing a55holes, there's a kid passed out on the hood of my new BMW.

Stage 5: You meet them as they are unloading the U-Haul and mention your close relationship to the Boulder Police Department, the Provost, and the City's Rental Inspection Office. Wish them luck for the school year and let them know you can find their parent's numbers in a heartbeat.

(Optional Stage 6): You move to Lafayette.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Here's my suggestion:

Challenge each tenant to a wrestling match. In bikinis. In a kiddie-pool filled with jello and whipped cream.

\\Also, post pics.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts